List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

List entry Number: 1177461

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, CRICKET LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityKnowle St. Giles

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262178

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KNOWLE ST GILES CP CRICKET LANE (East side) ST31SE CRICKET MALHERBIE

2/52 Church of St Mary Magdalen 4.2.58

GV 11*

Anglican parish church. C12 origins; but rebuilt c1855 by Rev J.M Allen, Staple and Munden, builders. Ham stone ashlar: plain clay tiled roofs between moulded coped gables with a variety of finials, behind traceried parapets. three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north transept, with a north-east corner vestry, south porch and north-west tower, all in a scholarly Geometric style. Chancel has double plinth, trefoil traceried parapets, corner and bay buttresses with panelled and gabletted tops, with crocketted pinnacles to corners: east window a 5-light with headstop label, a trefoil vent over; a 2-light window on south side, east bay, with simple arched doorway up 4 steps to west bay: further 2-light window on north side. The north-east vestry to match, but with flat roof behind plain parapet; 2-light flat headed window with square headstop label on north side, no external doorway; stairs down to boiler room against east wall. North transept similar, but with Curvilinear tracery to parapets, and having corner gargoyles: 3-liqht north window, blank on east and west sides. Nave has Curvilinear traceried parapets; 2-light windows with simple tracery to sides, but the west gable much more elaborate, with a 3-light reticulated window flanked by ogee-arched niches holding C20 statues, a traceried trefoil gable light over, and the gable crowned with a crocketted tabernacle. South porch has plinth, angled corner buttresses; trefoil-traceried parapets and moulded coped gable with cross finial; 2-order outer arch with applied flower boss ornament and wrought-iron gate; single-order inner iron with elaborate ironwork straps to door; side walls have 2 small sidelights, Tower of 3 stages, capped with a spire; angled corner buttresses 2 stages hill, plinth; string courses, the top with flower boss ornament and corner gargoyles, then a low castellated parapet; the spire small, with gabled windows to principal faces: in stage 1 the west face has a cusped lancet window, and the north a moulded pointed-arched doorway; stage 2 has a flat-arched light with ogee tracery to each face except the east, where there is a 2-stage octagonal-plan stairway projection; stage 3 has a 2-light Curvilinear-traceried window with louvres on each side, set in a hollowed arched reveal with ballflower decoration and headstop label. inside, the work scholarly and consitent: the chancel has a timber moulded rib and panel ceiling, an ornamental carved stone dado, in elaborate piscina on the north side, and also a table-tomb in ojee niche. Chancel arch finely moulded, the chancel floor of patterned encaustic tiles. Nave has open arch-braced collar-truss roof with ornamental windbracinq; and fine moulded archway to north transept, and black-and-white diamond pattern stone floor. North transept the Pitt family pew, with rib and tracery-panelled ceiling, ornamental fireplace with cast-ironback in east wall. All fittings if the l850s, notably the octagonal wood pulpit on a slender base, the choir stalls, lectern, pews (including a traceried front to the Pitt chapel), and a richly decorated octagonal font, which has a fine timber openork cover. Memorials include the chancel table tomb, to Stephen Pitt-Harris, died 1848, and in the north transept memorials to Stephen Pitt and George Pitt, both died 1865, both memorials by White of Pimlico. In nave a copy of the Raghael Virgin and Child, with St John the Baptist and an angel, by a Miss B1andy. (Pevsner), N, Buildings of England, South and west Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: ST3612911540

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 36129 11540

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 03:10:01.