List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1177364

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireBlabyDistrict AuthorityThurlaston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188988

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THURLASTON CHURCH STREET SP 59 NW 7/66 7.10.57 Church of All Saints

II*

Parish church. C13 and C15 west tower. South aisle demolished 1778. Much restored 1840s and 1850 by Stephen Fry, who rebuilt and extended east end of north aisle, added vestry, and renewed all tracery. Chancel arch renewed 1861. Tower restored 1897. Granite rubble with stone dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle with organ chamber in east bay, north vestry, chancel. West tower is of 3 stages with chamfered plinth and strings, battlements and slits to south east stairs. Bell chamber has C19 2-light traceried openings, and slits below. On west side are a C19 3-light traceried window and door in C19 4-centred arch. South side has stair door with Caernarvon arch. Other windows are all in decorated style with tracery, hood moulds and carved stops. South side of nave has ashlar plinth, moulded sill string, stone eaves corbels, and 3 bays of 3-light windows. Off-set buttresses. North aisle has 3-light windows to north, another to west, and traceried triangular window to east. Blocked north door with moulded arch, hood mould and carved head stops. East bay is totally C19. Chancel has stone string, cornice and frieze, and 3 bays of 3-light windows to south. Also on south side is small moulded doorway with dogtooth ornament and shafted jambs. Large 5-light east window with shaft jambs. Interior has been stripped of plaster except in chancel. Chamfered tower arch on moulded piers with moulded capitals, possible re-used. Stairs are corbelled out inside tower. C13 north arcade with 3 bays of moulded and chamfered arches on circular piers with crocketted leaf capitals. West bay is of slightly different build with double hollow chamfered arch, carved head corbels and label with one carved head stop. North aisle has tomb recess with fine moulded ogee arch and finial, and 2 C19 moulded arches on shafted piers to chancel. C19 chancel arch, moulded, on half-shafts with foliage scroll capitals. North and south walls of chancel have cusped arched recesses at east end, both moulded, south ogee. Pair of cusped ogee recesses with crockets re-sited in vestry. C19 roofs, that to chancel with trusses on short wall posts with wooden columns. Late C19-C20 glass and other fittings, including carved stone and mosaic reredos of 1882. Monuments in north aisle: C14 effigy of Ralph de Turvile in tomb recess; tomb slabs of Hugh Turvile 1347 and Agnes Turvile 1349, carved with effigies and inscriptions, the figure of Agnes half concealed by surface of slab; very fine early C15 tomb chest with ogee side niches containing shield-bearing angels, and effigies of knight and lady, said to be John and Katherine Turvile 1509. Wall memorial to Edward and Jane Turvyle of New Halle Parke, 1619, with pair of oval portrait reliefs in surround with Ionic pilasters, broken pediment and coat of arms. Another wall memorial to Elizabeth Turvyle, 1653, with half port- rait, rather melancholy with head on hand and elbow on scull, in cartouche with scrolled pediment. (J O Hulme, The History of Thurlaston)

Listing NGR: SP5021099072

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hulme, J O, The History of Thurlaston

National Grid Reference: SP 50210 99072

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:46:23.