List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING AND MARTYR

List entry Number: 1177353

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDWARD KING AND MARTYR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityGoathurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269292

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23SE GOATHURST CP GOATHURST VILLAGE

7/32 Church of St. Edward King and Martyr 29.3.63

GV I

Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C14, C15; C19 work, including restoration of 1884. Rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with south porch and south transept which was the Tynte family pew; chancel with North chapel a tomb chapel of the Halswell family which was added early C17; West tower. Perpendicular. Embattled 2-stage tower with angle buttresses terminating half-way up, offsets, gargoyles, topping stair turret with slit windows; 2-light bell-chamber windows of Somerset type with filling quatrefoil interlace; 3-light West window, door. Two bay nave, 3-light pointed head windows; south transept of single bay, C19 three-light window, door. Two bay chancel, 2-light square head windows, 3-light East windows. Tomb chapel with 2 and 3 light square head windows, each light with a 4-centred head, 2 oval windows, West doorway with a porch, 4-centred arch outer door opening. Benched nave porch on a flag floor, wagon roof of late C15 with ribs and bosses, moulded inner and outer door openings. Interior plastered on tile, encaustic tile, flag and marble floors, cast-iron heater grilles. Nave with C15 wagon roof with ribs and bosses, moulded wall plate; chancel with late C19 wagon roof; Tynte pew with neo-Elizabethan plaster ceiling of c1830, frieze with achievements; tomb chapel with beamed ceiling. Moulded C14 tower archway; C19 chancel arch; squint to Tynte pew; C15 moulded beam at entrance to tomb chapel. Very richly furnished, mostly by Halswell-Tynte-Kemys family of Halswell House (qv). Tomb chapel with chest to Sir Nicholas Halswell, obit. 1633, recumbent effigies under a canopy with achievement, against the tomb kneel figures of their sons and daughters; Baroque monument to Halswell family, late C17, Latin inscription with flanking columns and a pediment, allegorical figures; sleeping child of marble, Isabella Anne Kemys, obit. 1835, by Raffaeli Monti; monument to Elizabeth Kemys Tynte of 1838 by Hopper of London; wooden cartouche with Tynte arms; on floor memorial slabs; late C17 chest; Jacobean altar table; clarinet of 1827. Chancel with C14 aumbry and piscina; wall monument to William Trivett, obit. 1730, slate; Anne Kemys Tynte, obit. 1836 by Hopper, also by Hopper to Henry Parsons; embroidered pulpit fall of 1733; Jacobean coffin stools; C19 decalogue plaques and choir stalls; late C19 stained glass. Nave with large wall monument to Sir John Tynte, bust, Rococo cartouche, by J. M. Rysbrack, 1742; another to Sir Charles Kemys Tynte, obit. 1785, by Nollekens, medallion, female figure extinguishing a torch, probably representing fame; 4 further C19 Kemys Tynte monuments; octagonal C15 font; pulpit c1630 with tester of c1690, both wooden, with strapwork; remains of some C17 pews, refurbished C19; upper and lower entrances to rood, rood stair; royal arms of 1707 lectern of 1902. Tynte pew with C18 seating; helmet, sword, gauntlets and crest of Sir Nicholas Halswell. Under tower C18 funeral hatchments; early C18 painted panelling; charity plaque of 1832; 5 early bells; clock by John Hunt of Bridgwater of 1734; late C19 stained glass to West window. (R. D. Ansdell, Church Guide, 1982; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2565034355

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Andsdell, R D - Title: Church of St Edward King and Martyr - Date: 1982
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 25650 34353

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 10:59:45.