List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CASTLE HOUSE WITH ADJOINING WINGS GATE COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1177302

Location

CASTLE HOUSE WITH ADJOINING WINGS, ENMORE ROAD
GATE COTTAGE, ENMORE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityEnmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23SW ENMORE CP ENMORE ROAD (South side)

6/27 Nos. 1 and 2 Castle House with adjoining outbuilding wings (left hand wing separately owned and named Gate Cottage) (previously listed as Castle House and adjoining outbuildings) 29.3.63 II*

Inn with adjoining outbuilding wings; now divided into 2 dwellings, one wing separately owned and converted to a further dwelling. Inn early/mid C18; wings added c1779; C20 alteration, particularly interiors. Rubble, freestone dressings including bands at first and second floor level, M- shaped tile mansard roof with coped verges, copings, brick ridge stacks. Symmetrical frontage; 2 storeys with centre pedimented 3-storey projecting porch with ridge at right-angles to frontage; 2:1:2 bays, 12-pane sash windows, exposed sash boxes, brick voussoirs, freestone keys to ground floor openings; 4-pane casement to second floor of porch. Wide semi-circular headed porch opening with emphasised key and imposts, inner doorway with late C20 glazed door. Contiguous single-storeyed flanking wings, embattled parapets; each with an arcade of 5 openings, semi-circular heads with brick voussoirs, emphasised keys and imposts, small blank circular opening between each arch, one missing. Arcade blank except for central opening on each side which is slightly larger, giving onto a yard each side of inn; enclosed by further sections of rubble-walling, that to right with circular openings echoing those on frontage. Yard to left with outbuilding at right angles to frontage, lean-to triple-Roman tile roof, arcade of openings in conforming style, one altered, some blank. Some late C20 alteration to extreme left including insertion of C20 metal casements and raising of battlements forming Gate Cottage. Attached to rear of No. 2 (Castle House) a single-storey rubble outbuilding with Baroque gables. Interior of No. 2 stated to have an early staircase; No. 1 with some window shutters. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2438634897

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 24386 34897

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:07:43.