List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GAZEBO APPROXIMATELY 65 METRES TO EAST OF HARNAGE GRANAGE

List entry Number: 1177293

Location

GAZEBO APPROXIMATELY 65 METRES TO EAST OF HARNAGE GRANAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCound

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259722

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COUND C.P. - SJ 50 SE 7/68 Gazebo approx. 65 - metres to east of Harnage Grange GV II* Gazebo. Late C16. Red brick (English bond) with rendered brick window dressings; pyramidal stone slate roof with finial. Polygonal plan with wing to south. 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth, and chamfered crowstepped gable end to south; external brick stack corbelled from first floor to north-west has octagonal brick shaft with moulded base and capital. West front: first-floor 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window with leaded casements; ground-floor chamfered round-arched entrance with straight returned brick hoodmould above. First-floor 2-light double- chamfered mullioned window with returned brick hoodmould in right-hand return front; 2 first-floor 2-light double-chamfered mullioned windows to rear and ground-floor segmental-headed blocked doorway to south-east at rear. Leaded casements throughout. Interior: probably reset C17 panelling in ground-floor room; first-floor room not inspected but said to contain a stone fireplace. The gazebo stands in the grounds of Harnage Grange (q.v.) and is a particularly fine and notably unaltered example. It probably dates from the time of the additions to Harnage Grange after 1569 by the Fowler family. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.63.



Listing NGR: SJ5701902199

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 63

National Grid Reference: SJ 57019 02199

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:01:58.