List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1177258

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityLeebotwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259596

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 4698-4798 LEEBOTWOOD C.P. LEEBOTWOOD

11/55 Church of St. Mary 13.6.58

- II*

Parish church. C13 with tower and other alterations of 1829. Roughly coursed red and grey sandstone rubble with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; C19 slate roof. Nave and chancel in one,with west tower. Tower: 2 stages, with offset to belfry, and plain parapet with string and coping; louvred paired stubby chamfered lancet belfry openings, west window with 3 chamfered lancets of equal height and intersecting leaded tracery, and pointed-arched west doorway with boarded door. Nave and chancel: coved stone eaves cornice, and parapeted gable end to west with kneelers, coping and cross at apex; south side: pilaster buttress to left; central triple chamfered lancets and pair of chamfered lancets to right, flanking probably C16 moulded Tudor-arched priest's doorway off-centre to right with boarded door; partly blocked C13 chamfered-arched south doorway to left with inserted leaded window; north side: pair of chamfered lancets off-centre to right; east-end: stepped triple chamfered lancets and small C13 chamfered lancet in apex of gable above. Interior: 5-bay roof, mainly C19 but one C17 truss in chancel and C15 moulded arch-braced collar truss with carved dragons in spandrels; pairs of chamfered purlins and elaborately cusped wind braces in one bay forming foiled shape; C19 billet frieze; chamfered tower arch without imposts. Fittings include: west gallery with C16 or C17 roll-moulded beam and C19 balustrade with stick balusters; early C19 three-bay chancel screen between second and third bays with square Tuscan columns and pilasters without entasis; panelled box pews of 1776,ramped up to screen,with H-hinges, names of farms, and some reused C17 fluted panels; early C18 hexagonal wooden pulpit with tall raised and fielded panels and moulded cornice; reader's desk and clerk's pew probably also of 1776; circular stone font of c.1843 with moulded base; late C19 ashlar reredos with carved frieze and pierced cresting; probably early C19 altar rails on 3 sides with stick balusters; side benches to sanctuary. Stained glass: east window of c.1854, probably by David Evans of Shrewsbury. Monuments: fine series of C18 and early C19 monuments to the Corbett family (Longnor Hall q.v.); especially notable is large tablet monument to Sir Uvedale Corbett (d.1701) with gadrooned base, flanking columns, and swan- necked pediment with 2 reclining figures. Medieval wall painting on north wall of nave. A church on the site is first recorded in 1183. The church is notable for the completeness of its C18 and early C19 fittings and monuments. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.104-6; B.0.E., p.164; D.H.S. Cranage, An architectural account of the churches of'Shropshire, Part 6, p.498.

Listing NGR: SO4706198673

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 498
Elmington, C R , The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1989), 104-106
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 104-106

National Grid Reference: SO 47061 98673

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:29:22.