List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1177253

Location

OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, BARGATES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWhitchurch Urban

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260585

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. BARGATES (north-east SJ 5441 SJ 54050 41756 side) 8/33 No. 13 (Old School House) 1.5.51 [Formerly listed as Grammar School (detached house adjoining Higginson's Almshouses)] GV II*

Schoolhouse, now disused. Dated 1708. Red brick with painted grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. One storey and attic. Plinth with moulded stone top, chamfered stone quoins, wooden modillion eaves cornice, and parapeted gable ends with shaped stone kneelers and stone coping. Integral brick end stacks, that to left consisting of 3 square shafts with chamfered corners and stone base and cap. Pair of dormers with 2-light wooden casements, wooden cills on small wooden brackets and steep triangular- pedimented gables with dentils. 2:1:2 bays; central quoined break has steep triangular pediment with dentils. Wooden cross windows with moulded stone cills and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Central mid-C19 half- glazed 4-panelled door with bolection moulded stone architrave and early C19 returned hoodmould. Moulded stone tablet above door, inscribed: "SCHOOL / FOUNDED BY / JANE HIGGINSON / MDCCVIII". Gabled rear wing: 2-light wooden attic casement and 2 ground-floor wooden cross windows with segmental relieving arches. Interior:; c.1708 dog-leg oak staircase with closed string, splat balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts with moulded caps. C18 boarded door beneath stairs with H-L hinges. Whitchurch grammar school was founded in 1548 by the Rev. John Talbot (opened 1550). This building dates from 1708 and was latterly used as the infants school. Further buildings (q.v.) were added to the east in 1848 and 1926, but the school has since amalgamated and moved to another site. B.O.E., p. 314; R.B. James, Whitchurch - A Short History (1979), p. 9.

Listing NGR: SJ5405141757

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: James, R B - Title: Whitchurch A Short History - Date: 1979 - Page References: 9
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 314

National Grid Reference: SJ 54052 41756

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 01:20:40.