List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177239



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityUffington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259294

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ 51 SW SJ 5194 1253 UFFINGTON C.P. -

3/68 Bridge No.438 3/4/85 (Belvidere Bridge) (that part in Uffington C.P.)

- II*

Railway bridge. Dated 1848, William Baker engineer; restored and slightly altered in 1984. Chamfered rusticated grey sandstone ashlar piers, engineering brick retaining walls and end piers with ashlar dressings, and painted cast iron arches and decking. 2 segmental skew arches, each consisting of 6 cast ribs with lattice spandrels; central pier with rounded rock-faced cutwater; coped curved retaining walls and square end piers with rock-faced ashlar quoins and stone caps; late C20 balustrade replacing 1848 one. Maker's plate on eastern arch to south: "CAST AT COALBROOKDALE FOUNDRY 1848"; shield-shaped plaques on central pier to south: "WILLIAM BAKER ESQ/ENGINEER/1848", and to north: "HAMMOND AND MURRAY/CONTRACTOR/1848". There are also datestones on the railway side of the parapets to the central pier. Each of the ribs is made up from short cast sections bolted together. The Shrewsbury to Oakengates section of the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway was opened on June 1st, 1849 and the whole of the line to Wolverhampton on November 12th of the same year. The original estimate for the bridge was £80,000, and it was formerly numbered 4 on the Shrewsbury-Wellington Line. The bridge spans the River Severn. Rex Christiansen, A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, Vol.7 The West Midlands, David and Charles (1983), Pp.80-95; Richard K. Morriss, Railways of Shropshire: a brief history, Shropshire Libraries (1983), Pp.17-23 and p.72 (i11.); Shropshire Railway Society, Shropshire Railways Revisited, Shropshire Libraries (1982), i11.26.

Listing NGR: SJ5194812526

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Christiansen, R - Title: A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain - Date: 1983 - Volume: 7 - Page References: 80-95
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Morriss, R - Title: Railways of Shropshire - Date: 1983
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Shropshire Railway Society - Title: Shropshire Railways Revisited - Date: 1982 - Type:

National Grid Reference: SJ 51948 12526


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 09:21:51.