List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1177223

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityEnmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269275

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23NW ENMORE CP CHURCH LANE (North side)

2/16 Church of St. Michael

29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C15, though much restored. C13 Early English chancel and a Norman south doorway; restored 1873 by B. Ferrey. Random rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs with crested ridges, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with a south porch, chancel, North aisle, West tower; Perpendicular; middle pointed C19 work. Embattled tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses terminating in detached pinnacles on third stage, further corner shafts terminating in pinnacles above the battlements, polygonal topping stair turret; prominent gargoyles; 2-light bell-chamber windows with Somerset tracery, quatrefoil grilles; clock on south face with Roman numerals; below a shafted niche with leering figure. West door, 4-light West window. Two bay nave, 3-light pointed-headed windows; south doorway of c1185, semi-circular head with incised zig-zag decoration, colonettes with trumpet capitals, one with small stiff-leaves peeping out; porch C19. Three bay North aisle, cusped lancets and 2-light windows with bar tracery; prominent buttresses. Two bay buttressed chancel with lancets; East window of 3 stepped cusped lights with foils above, C19 though reproducing the original. Plastered and scraped interior on flag floors under C19 wagon roofs; starvault under tower. Perpendicular tower and chancel arches; the latter panelled with elaborate moulding, narrow "squint" to each side with a cusped head. Three bay arcade to North aisle in middle pointed style with hexagonal piers. Plain octagonal C13 font. Medieval iron-banded chest; Jacobean chest; elaborate Jacobean pulpit with grotesque masks; some plain C16/C17 pews, much renewed C19 with family pews at West end; Jacobean coffin stool; C18 cope chest; early C19 coffin stools and tables; C19 brass and wrought-iron candelabra; C19 organ; late C19 choir stalls and reredos; brass lectern dated 1907; 2 early C20 wooden screens; painted chair. Two large C18 wall monuments, one by Wood of Bristol; 3 principal C19 monuments and several other brass plaques. Two helms of Malet family of c1620. Late C19 stained glass to chancel, post restoration, remainder of windows leaded and plain. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2397935206

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 23979 35206

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 05:34:19.