List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1177204

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireBlabyDistrict AuthorityKirby Muxloe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188963

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRBY MUXLOE MAIN STREET SK 50 SW 4/41 Church of St Bartholomew 7.10.57 GV II* Parish church. Early C13 with C14 and C15 alterations to tower. Very much restored 1849 and 1857-8, with further restorations to tower 1891. Vestry/ organ chamber added 1927. Granite and slate rubble with limestone dressings and some ashlar facing to tower. Swithland slate roofs. Nave, south tower, chancel, north vestry/organ chamber. C19 off-set buttresses and gable copings. Y-tracery windows in double hollow-chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds, all renewed C19. Nave has 3-light west window with carved heads at stops and apex, 3 bays of 2- light windows to north, and 2 similar windows to south. South tower is of 2 stages with moulded string and eaves, pyramidal roof and weathercock. Short diagonal buttresses. Late C14-C15 bell-chamber with 2-light traceried openings and single cusped ogee lights below. South door, through tower, has moulded 2-centred arch with hoodmould. Small C20 boiler room in south west angle between tower and nave. Chancel has 2-light window to north, 2 more to south along with a transomed low-side window and a blocked door, and 3-light east window. Vestry is gabled to north and has matching windows and north door. Interior: C19 roofs, that to nave with scissor trusses on carved foliage corbels; double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order on semi-octagonal piers; small arched niche in south wall of nave; small arched piscina in chancel; 2 arches to vestry and organ chamber. Fittings are all C19-C20, and include a carved stone reredos with panels for texts; and early C20 glass. Wall tablet in chancel to Francis St John 1732, with broken pediment.

Listing NGR: SK5207204658

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 52072 04658

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 08:31:51.