List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTTON'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1176974

Location

COTTON'S HOUSE, 57, SHROPSHIRE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityMarket Drayton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260382

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 6633-6733 and MARKET DRAYTON C.P. SHROPSHIRE STREET SJ 6634-6734 (south-east side)

12/78 and 13/78 No. 57 (Cotton's House) (Formerly listed as Plas 2.10.75 Gwyn) GV II*

House. Circa 1600, for the Cotton family, with late C18 or early C19 alterations. Timber framed on dressed grey sandstone plinth, partly cased in rendered brick (lined as ashlar), and refaced or rebuilt in red brick to the rear. Plain tile roofs. Framing: ground-floor close studding (obscured) with cusped (or serrated) tension braces and close-studding with middle rail to first floor. Jettied attic with moulded brackets, close studding to side and single tier of square panels to front with opposed square corner struts (each cut from a single piece of timber). Gable to front has 3 tiers of small square panels with opposed curved corner struts, and curved V-struts in apex. Baffle-entry E-plan. 3 framed bays (narrow centre bay around stack) at right angles to road with 3 gabled wings to north-east (1eft-band return front). 2 storeys and attic over basement. Chamfered plinth. Central brick ridge stack with pairs of pointed-arched recesses in each face. 2-window front; c.1800 tripartite sashes (minus glazing bars). Small attic glazing bar sashes in gable to right. Basement opening to left. Right-hand return (entrance) front: central c.1800 first-floor horizontal-sliding glazing bar sash and C20 three-light wooden casement to right. Ground-floor C20 three-light casement to right. Central C19 gabled porch; door has. 6 raised and fielded panels (top 2 panels glazed) with rectangular overlight and moulded architrave. Integral brick end stack to left-hand return front. Rear: refaced or rebuilt in brick. Toothed-brick eaves cornice and verge. Gabled eaves dormer to right with 3-light wooden casement. Segmental-headed 2-light wooden attic casement in gable to left. First-floor segmental-headed glazing bar sashes (16-pane to left), ground-floor segmental-headed horizontal- sliding glazing bar sash to left and small-paned 2-light casement to right. Half-glazed door between,off-centre to right,with segmental head and bracketed gabled porch. Rendered (lined as ashlar) early C19 lean-to addition to right with first-floor 16-pane glazing bar sash and ground floor 2- light segmental-headed wooden casement. Interior: c.1680 oak staircase (probably replacing earlier staircase in former stair projection at rear), rising 2 floors with winders; closed string, barleysugar balusters, moulded handrail and square newel posts with moulded caps. Principal ground- and first-floor rooms have pairs of deep-chamfered spine beams with ogee stops. Right-hand ground-floor front room: C17 grey sandstone ashlar fireplace with chamfered reveals and carved lintel. Right-hand ground- floor rear room (kitchen): large open fireplace with chamfered dressed red sandstone reveals and chamfered wooden lintel. Cl7 six-panelled door to rear. Left-hand ground-floor front room: pair of chamfered ceiling beams. Late C17 door with 2 large panels and L-hinges. Left- hand ground-floor front room: small fireplace. Early C19 back staircase (probably replacing former principal early C17 staircase) with stick balusters. Cellar: pairs of large chamfered beams. Circa 1680 two-panelled doors to principal bedrooms off first-floor landing, probably fitted at the same date as the staircase. Right-hand front bedroom: painted sandstone ashlar fireplace with chamfered reveals and deep lintel with moulded cornice. Moulded cornice to room. Right-hand rear bedroom: painted sandstone ashlar fireplace with chamfered reveals. Left-hand rear bedroom: chamfered beams. Pair of boarded cupboard doors with L-hinges (C20). Attic: tie-beam and collar trusses. Single purlins with straight wind braces. Front attic room has dressed red sandstone fireplace with chamfered corbels supporting lintel; chamfered wooden surround of blocked former doorway to right (the doorway is now further to the right, probably moved when the late C17 staircase was inserted). Various C17 boarded and panelled doors and old oak floor boards throughout. Much timber framing visible internally. The first floor still appears to be jettied beneath the casing (see ends of moulded bressumer in wall between porch and staircase hall). Cusped corner brace between staircase hall and kitchen. The front wall behind the later porch has been removed but the width of the former doorway can still be discerned (see mortices on underside of first-floor wall plate). Philip Cotton was granted the land on which the present house stands,formerly owned by Combermere Abbey, Cheshire),in 1539. By 1672 a Philip Cotton is recorded as owning a house in Market Drayton with 5 hearths, probably the present building. The inventory made after his death in 1681 still survives [information from the present owner (1986)]. Due to its very narrow site the house stands at right-angles to the road, the entrance front being to the right. It is a typical baffle-entry plan which has been turned through ninety degrees. It has been suggested that the top floor is a later (perhaps mid-C17)addition to an earlier (i.e. c.1600) house , hence the shallow jetty and different framing type.

Listing NGR: SJ6739733992

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 67397 33992

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 09:43:10.