List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

List entry Number: 1176947

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityFreeby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189820

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 81 NW FREEBY STAPLEFORD PARK

6/48 Church of St.Mary Magdalen 1.1.68

I

Parish church. 1783, restored 1931 and 1967. Designed by G. Richardson for the 4th Earl of Harborough. Ashlar with ashlar dressings. Gothick style. Chamfered and moulded plinths, string course, frieze of shields with Arms, coped blind arcaded parapet with pinnacles. Rainwater heads dated 1931. West tower, nave, north and south transepts, chancel. West tower, 3 stages, has moulded plinth and string course, frieze and cornices, one of them with Romanesque ornament. Crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles. First stage has to west, moulded Tudor arched doorway with ogee headed panelled surround with finial in the form of feathers. Margin stile door. Above, 2 light pointed arched window with Y tracery. North and south sides have each a recessed round window and above it a blank 2 light pointed arched window with Y tracery. Second stage has a roundel on each side, that to west containing a clock. Third stage has on each side a double lancet bell opening with fretted shutters. Nave, 3 bays, has on each side 3 light pointed arched windows with intersecting tracery. West end has on each side a roundel and above it a pointed niche. Parapeted north and south transepts have a blank 4 light lancet in each gable. Chancel has blank sides. East end has small central buttress and string course. Above, transomed 4 light lancet with intersecting tracery, flanked by single niches. Above it, a coronet in high relief and a datestone inscribed '1783'. Interior has octagonal vaulted porch below tower with central figurative boss. To east, pointed doorway flanked by single round headed doors. To west, pointed doorway flanked by single round headed recesses. Nave has arcaded cornice and coved plaster ceiling with lozenge patterns and fluted brackets. West end has wooden gallery with 3 Tudor arched openings on each stage, the upper central one gabled. Below, panelled dado and to left, winder stair with stick balusters. Gallery has panelled dado. West side has central Gothic Coade stone fireplace with figurative panel. Above it, Royal Arms in a roundel, flanked by single double ogee lancet panels. Lozenge patterned ceiling with central oval dome containing cherubs. Transepts have panelled plaster vaults. Gable walls have each a roundel containing a dove. Chancel east end has dado and frieze with central inlaid marble reredos with anchor motif, pediment and urn, by R. Brown of Derby. Window above is flanked by double lancet Commandment boards. Fittings of 1783, restored 1967, include longitudinal panelled stalls with candlesticks, traceried reading desk, panelled octagonal pulpit with winder stair, and movable fluted marble font on oak stem. 2 late C17 turned chairs and 7 traceried early C19 chairs. Panelled C18 chest. Late C19 wooden lectern. Memorials include brass, 1490, to Geoffrey Sherard and wife. Black and white marble chest tomb, 1640, to William and Abigail Sherard. Chest has inscribed side panel and Arms at ends, and 2 full size reclining figures plus 11 small figures of children. Above, depressed Gothic arch carrying central obelisk with niche containing bust of Philip Sherard, 1750, flanked by bust of Bennet Sherard, 1770, and Robert Sherard, 1799. Above again, central bust of Bennet Sherard, 1699. Black and white marble chest tomb by M Rysbrack to Robert Sherard and wife, 1732. Chest has inscribed panel to front and above, full size figures of seated woman with child and half-reclining man, all in Roman costume. Behind, obelisk panel with crest and 2 portrait medallions. Tablet and hatchment to the 6th Earl of Harborough, 1859.

Listing NGR: SK8117218203

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 26 Leicestershire,

National Grid Reference: SK 81172 18203

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 12:10:51.