List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE STABLE BLOCK

List entry Number: 1176848

Location

THE STABLE BLOCK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAtcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259259

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 51 SW and SJ 50 NW ATCHAM C.P. ATTINGHAM PARK

3/33 and 5/33 The Stable Block (formerly 29.1.52 listed as Attingham Park Stables)

GV II*

Stables, now offices and stores. Circa 1785, by George Steuart for the first Lord Berwick. Red brick with grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar dressings, and facing to south. Square courtyard plan with projecting pyramidal-roofed corner pavilions. One storey and loft and 2 storeys. Glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads, some replaced by late C20 imitations. South front: 9 bays; 1:3:1:3:1 rhythm. Plinth; impost band to blind-arched arcading, frieze, moulded cornice, and blocking course. Glazing bar sashes with blind lunettes above. Each end pavilion with plinth, corner piers, first- floor cill string, frieze, moulded cornice, and blocking course. Projecting central pavilion with plinth, moulded impost band to central blocked round carriage-arch, and flanking paired Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze, moulded cornice, and interrupted balustraded parapet. Courtyard elevation of 9 bays, 3:3:3 rhythm; central pavilion with blocked carriage arch and inserted 6 flush-panelled door with radial fanlight. East front: end pavilions with recessed blind round arches and glazing bar sashes with radial lunettes above impost band. Central 7-bay entrance and coach house block, 2:1:1:1:2 rhythm; frieze, moulded cornice, blocking course, and hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks and 2 end stacks, central 3-bay projection with blind round arches flanking central break which has round carriage arch with blind tympanum and pair of gates, and triangular pediment above. Courtyard elevation of 17 bays, 4:4:1:4:4 rhythm; central 9-bay block has round-arched arcaded ground floor with pairs of panelled coach-house doors and recessed blind tympana; central break has round carriage-arch with blind tympanum, and triangular pediment above. West front: 15 bays, 1:6:1:6:1; plinth, impost band and moulded eaves cornice; blind round- arched arcading. Central pavilion with plinth, stepped end-piers, moulded string course, frieze, moulded cornice, and coped parapet with balustraded centre; boarded door. Courtyard elevation of 9:1:9 bays; central projection has pair of 3 flush-panelled doors with radial fanlight, flanking wide pilaster strips, and triangular pediment. North range; courtyard front: 5:1:5 bays; centrepiece with plinth, moulded impost band, and paired Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze and triangular pediment; central pair of 3 flush-panelled doors with radial fanlight. Interior: north and west ranges still retain C18 stalls and have flush-panelled dividers with ogee- curved tops and end posts with banded urn-finials, boarded back wall with arcaded mangers and name panels, brick floors and plaster ceilings with dentil cornices. Some former blind windows including those in the south front have been opened in the late C20. The stables were designed for 60 horses. H. Avary Tipping, Attingham, CL, Vol.XLIX (Feb. 5th 1921), p.163.



Listing NGR: SJ5481410037

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 5 February, (1921)
Other
Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 54814 10037

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 01:05:33.