List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1176782

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PEAK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCompton Dundon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262882

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST43SE COMPTON DUNDON CP PEAK LANE (West side) DUNDON 1/77 Church of Saint Andrew 17.4.59

GV II*

Parish church. Early C14 chancel, remainder C15 with minimal C19 restoration. Local lias stone roughly squared with Ham Stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables with cross finials. 2 cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 4-bay nave, with west tower, south porch and north east vestry. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses with offsets and central short buttress under east window, eaves course: east window has 5-lights with late geometric tracery of uneven clover-leaf pattern, under pointed arched label with headstops and a quatrefoil gable vent; north wall has 2 small cusped 2-light windows, one flat headed, one with quatrefoil in pointed arch with plain label; south wall has 2 windows similar to this last, and between them a moulded pointed arched doorway with curl stopped label. Nave has plinth,-bay buttresses, eaves course; on north cusped-light to pulpit recess, then three 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows in shallow coved recesses; in the third-bay no window, but blocked moulded pointed arched doorway; to south wall similar windows to 2 eastern bays, with additional small C17 window set high to east, and in same-bay a wall monument with hood and simple swag surround to Katherine Coombe, died 1729; western Window also 3-light, but tracery a mixture of reticulation and Perpendicular, under pointed arch label with plain stops; between these the simple south porch, with corner buttresses, coped gable and C15 moulded pointed arches to inner and outer doorways, the inner door of great age; rib and panel roof with ornate bosses, bench seats and stoup. North east corner vestry simple, with 2-light east window matching those of chancel. Tower of 3 stages; plinth, angled offset corner buttresses 2 storeys high, string courses with gargoyles to top course, battlemented parapet; offset rectangular projection 2 stages high on south east corner for stairs: moulded pointed arched doorway on west, with headstops to arched label; above in stage 2 a 3-light Perpendicular traceried window, and on south face a small rectangular window; to all faces of stage 3 are paired cusped light openings without labels to flat heads, fitted with stone baffles: pyramidal tiled roof with weathervane behind parapet. Chancel has some C19 work, including ceiling; C14 piscina linked to a 3 seater cusped ogee arched sedilia; east window has label internally with head stops; chancel arch probably C15, double chamfered orders running into plain chamfered jambs, with very wide low screen wall. Nave has moulded timber rib and panelled ceiling with ornate basses, forming slightly pointed vault; simple piscina in south wall; the former roof loft stair in north wall with semi-circular arched openings, also giving access to exceptional timber pulpit, dated 1628; panelled octagon, with integral baluster screen and tester; to west end some C15 pews with plain bench ends; in tower arch an octagonal font with plain bowl, shaft and base; by south door a stoup apparently linked to that outside in porch. Fittings include 2 chests, one possibly C14, one late C16. In floor two C17 Keinton stone slab memorials to John Clacey, died 1640, and Joye Barker, died 1637.

Listing NGR: ST4794232532

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 47942 32532

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 03:21:00.