List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1176759

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityFreeby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189798

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 82 SW FREEBY CHURCH LANE

Saxby (east side) 1/26 Church of St.Peter 1.1.68

II*

Parish church. Built 1789 to the designs of George Richardson. Interior altered and reseated by J.Goddard, 1874. Restored 1980. Limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings. West tower with spire, nave and chancel. West tower, 3 stages, has 4 shallow clasping buttresses, 2 moulded string courses and dentillated cornice. First stage has to west, a round headed doorway with C19 shouldered door and overlight. Above it, a crest. North and south sides have each a round headed window, that to north blocked. Second stage has chamfered plinth incised '1789' to west, and on each face a round window, that to north blocked. Octagonal bell stage has 4 diagonal volutes, each topped with a vase. On each face, a round headed louvred bell opening. Octagonal needle spire has moulded base, ball finial and cross, and on 2 tiers of round headed lucarnes, the lower tier louvred. Nave, 3 bays, has plinth and string course, moulded eaves cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet and gable. On each side, 3 round headed windows with leaded glazing. 2 bay chancel has similar features to nave. North side has a central round headed window. East end has a larger round headed window. South side has to left, a blocked doorway and above it, a blocked window. Interior has round porch under tower, with saucer dome. To east, C19 doorway. To its left, stone winder stair. To its right, a recessed panel. Bell stage has blocked opening to east. Nave has sill band and low pitched matchboarded roof. Central window to north has stained glass, 1898. Central window to south has stained glass, late C19, by Hawkes of Birmingham. Other windows have patterned stained glass. Chancel has chamfered round arch, continuous sill band and C19 panelled dado. East end has wooden reredos and gradine with swag ornament, segmental pediment and 2 angels. East window has late C19 stained glass. Low pitched panelled roof has billeted wall plate. Fittings include late C19 pierced oak stalls and desks, oak lectern and square ashlar pulpit with carved panels. C19 font, C15 style, with panelled octagonal bowl. C19 pine benches with shaped ends and rosettes. Memorials include brasses, c.1820 and 1918 and war memorial brass, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK8197920088

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 81979 20088

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 03:49:52.