List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1176684

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, STANSTED ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBishop's Stortford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160972

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5253 STANSTED ROAD (East Side)

Church of All Saints TL 4921 SW:4/79

II

2. 1936 by S E Dykes Bower. Rough limestone with ashlar dressings. West front to road has tall, broad, central tower with steep, hipped, red tile roof. Three excessively tall lancets beneath 2 smaller ones and eaves cornice. Flanking single storey aisles have doors recessed in cinquefoil arches. Buttresses at angles and to aisle walls. Steps and walls to front. Interior. Tall nave of 4 bays with giant drum piers and pointed arches; coffered wagon roof. Aisless chancel has east rose window with flowing tracery and 2 south windows of paired plain lancets beneath a multifoil oculus. Four trefoiled sedilia. Aisles have paired lancets and steep coffered roofs. C19 open timber lych gate at south west corner of churchyard with cruciform shingle roof and traceried side panels. Part of original 1851 church, burnt 1935. The church dominates the east aspect of the town. (Pevsner 2nd Ed Rev (1977) 102).

Listing NGR: TL4937421401

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 102

National Grid Reference: TL 49374 21401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:21:20.