List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1176630

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityBurton and Dalby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189785

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 71 SE BURTON AND DALBY off CHURCH LANE

Little Dalby (south side) 10/13 Church of St.James

1.1.68 II*

Parish church. Tower rebuilt, transepts added and the remainder remodelled by R. Brandon, 1851. Coursed and squared ironstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, moulded sill band, eaves with ballflowers, masks, fleurons and gargoyles. Coped gables with kneelers, finials and crosses. Windows are Decorated and Perpendicular traceried lancets with moulded reveals, hood moulds and masks stops. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, south aisle, north and south transepts, chancel, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has deep plinth, 4 gabled angle buttresses and foiled corbel table. Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes on the cardinal faces, the 2 lower tiers having Y tracery. Above, finial and weathercock. First stage has, to west, a double lancet. Second stage has on 3 sides, a single lancet. Third stage has on each side, a double lancet bell opening flanked by blank single lancets, with shafts and linked hood moulds. Clerestory has on each side, 4 transomed triple lancets. Buttressed north aisle, 3 bays, has at west end a Decorated double lancet. North side has a slightly off-centre moulded doorway with double shafts, flanked by single Decorated triple lancets with depressed heads. Buttressed 3 bay south aisle has at west end an ogee double lancet with Y tracery. South side has to west a triple lancet and to east a foiled single lancet. North transept has gabled angle buttresses and a triple lancet to north. Above it, a cusped trefoil. To east, 2 cusped single lancets. Similar south transept has identical fenestration. Chancel, 2 bays, has a single central buttress on each side and to east, 2 gabled angle buttresses. North side has 2 double lancets. East end has a triple lancet with flowing tracery. South side has, to west, 2 double lancets. Gabled and buttressed south porch has coped gable with kneelers and cross. Moulded doorway with fleurons, and a single lancet on each side. Latticed wooden gates. Interior has 2 stone benches, common rafter roof and multiple moulded doorway. Nave interior has multiple moulded tower arch with hood mould and round responds. Tower chamber has a coffered ceiling and a stained glass memorial west window, 1852. Nave arcades, 3 bays, have round and octagonalpiers and responds, moulded bases and capitals, and moulded arches with hood moulds and foliate stops. Moulded low pitched roof with arch braces, struts and wall shafts on large angel corbels. North and south aisles have at east end a double chamfered archway and moulded roofs with arch braces, traceried spandrels and foliate corbels. North aisle eastern window has memorial stained glass, 1851. South aisle west end window has memorial stained glass, 1875. Remaining windows have mid C19 stained glass attributed to Hardman. North and south transepts each have heavily moulded arches with hood moulds and mask corbels, and continuous sill bands. Gable windows have shafts and hood moulds and mid C19 stained glass. Elaborate arch-braced principal rafter roofs with foliate corbels. North transept roof has traceried wall plate with angel bosses. Chancel has filleted moulded arch with hood mould and triple shaft responds on large angel corbels. Panelled dado, 1904, and moulded sill band. East end has window with shafts, hood mould and poorly preserved stained glass, probably by Hardman. South side has to east, C14 style ogee piscina and C13 style graduated sedilia, both with hood moulds, and a window with stained glass by Kempe, 1886. Elaborate arch-braced principal rafter roof with large foliate canopied corbels, 4 of them with masks. Fittings of 1852 include a font with clustered shaft stem and round bowl with high relief figure panel. Carved, traceried octagonal pulpit, traceried reading desk, moulded benches, and choir stalls with shaped backs and bookstands with poppyheads. C17 table with turned legs. Organ, 1904. Memorials comprise 20 brasses, early C19 to early C20, all to the Hartopp family.

Listing NGR: SK7748913649

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 77489 13649

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Aug-2014 at 09:18:13.