List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ENTRANCE SCREEN AND EAST AND WEST FRONT LODGES TO ATTINGHAM PARK

List entry Number: 1176543

Location

ENTRANCE SCREEN AND EAST AND WEST FRONT LODGES TO ATTINGHAM PARK, A5

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAtcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259229

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 50 NW ATCHAM C.P. A5, ATCHAM (north side)

5/4 Entrance screen and East 29.1.52 and West Front Lodges to Attingham Park (formerly listed as Attingham Park Gateway)

GV II*

Entrance screen and lodges. Circa 1805-7, probably by John Nash, with later additions to lodges. Grey sandstone ashlar. 5 bays; AABAA rhythm. Large central carriage arch flanked by pedestrian arches and small square lodges. Moulded plinth, frieze, cornice and blocking course; banded rusticated piers with swagged urn-finials. Central round arch with imposts, moulded architrave, scrolled keystone and carved bas reliefs in spandrels depicting a winged horse to left and stag to right; pair of flanking Doric half- columns, frieze inscribed: "QUI : UTI : SCIT : EI : BONA", and dentil cornice, breaking forward over columns with architrave and carved lion masks; blocking course and stepped plinth to centre. Outer pedestrian arches with imposts and moulded architrave. Wrought iron gates: radial design with central patera and thistle-head railings; large central pair with top rails ramped up to hanging bars with urn finials; smaller single gates in pedestrian arches. Lodges: 2 storeys; integral octagonal corner stacks with banded rustication and moulded caps. Shallow recessed arches to front with contin- uous impost band, moulded architrave, pair of narrow ground-floor sashes and first-floor lunette above. Return fronts with cill string to first-floor glazing bar sash and ground-floor 4 flush-panelled door. Later addition at rear of each. The entrance screen and flanking screen walls (q.v.) were probably part of the improvements to the Attingham Estate carried out in the years after 1800 for the second Lord Berwick by John Nash and Humphry Repton. The entrance screen is flanked by lower screen walls with end piers (q.v.). Attingham Park, The National Trust (1981), p.30.



Listing NGR: SJ5418009353

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cornforth, J et al, Attingham Park, (1981), 30

National Grid Reference: SJ 54180 09353

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 01:22:50.