List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARE STREET HOUSE

List entry Number: 1176454

Location

HARE STREET HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHormead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160291

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3929 HORMEAD HARE STREET (East side)

12/70 Hare Street House 19.10.51

GV II*

House. C16 or early C17 N wing of house with kitchen wing to rear (NE), incorporated into tall double-pile house of later C17 probably built for William Brand between 1673 and his death in 1676, brick front early-mid C18 for Houblon family or for William Benn Sheriff of Herts 1739, Lord Mayor of London 1747, died 1755, internal alteration 1904-14 for Robert Hugh Benson, restored 1962 for Cardinal Godfrey. Timber frame plastered with panelled pargetting, red brick front and a hipped old red tile roof with gabled NE rear wings. A large 2-storeys and attics double-pile plan house facing W set back behind a high wall. Fine C17 octagonal tall red brick chimneys with moulded caps and bases in 2 groups of 2 and 3 in N range. Symmetrical red brick W front 5 windows wide with plinth, floor band, moulded cornice and parapet concealing 3 hipped dormers. Flat gauged arches and sash windows with 6/6 panes. Pedimented doorcase with Roman Doric pilaster. Interior has 2 Tudor arched fireplaces in N wing on 1st floor, early C18 boxed sash window with thick ovolo moulded glazing bars on 1st floor at S end, with double hung shutters in a box below the sill, and a moulded dado, panelled staircase at rear with carving and wood sculptures by Gabriel Pippit, butt-purlin roofs generally but clasped purlin roofs in N range and attached to NE a former 2-bay kitchen with inserted floor but cambered tie-beam with slots for arched braces and a clasped purlin roof. Associated with R.H. Benson who lived and worked here from 1903/4 up to his death in 1914. (RCHM (1911)103 No. 8: VCH (1914)69: Pevsner (1977)156: Jackson (1983)17).

Listing NGR: TL3903729830

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 69
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 156
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 39037 29830

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:04:14.