List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PUMP HOUSE

List entry Number: 1176452

Location

18, HIGH STREET
THE PUMP HOUSE, 16, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHunsdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159971

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4114 HUNSDON HIGH STREET (east side) Hunsdon village

7/10 No 16 (The Pump House) and No 18, (Formerly 24.1.67 listed as The Pump House)

GV II*

House. Probably C16, modernised in C17 and altered to give a near symmetrical E-shaped elevation in the C18, and new windows and porch in the early C19. A large 2 storeys, 4 windows plastered house with a steep old red tiled roof, extending to rear along Drury Lane on the left. A grand timberframed house with lower, 2 storeys, cross wings and originally probably an open hall. Made 2 storeys throughout and given a large cruciform central chimney near the centre of the hall range and a T-shaped internal gable chimney at the rear of the S wing, all in the C17. Covered with plaster lined as ashlar in the C18 and the roofs of the wings altered to continuations of the main tiled roof with moulded dentilled eaves cornice and cable-moulded string course across the recessed centre part. Early C19 sash windows, square in proportion, with moulded architraves to front. Pilastered and pedimented closed porch with Regency style door with 2 vertical panels. 10/10 panes to Ground floor windows flanking the porch and smaller 8/8 panes above. A glazed door has been added beside the window of the lefthand wing (No. 18) as a separate entrance. C18 tiled gables canopy to side door to Drury Lane in the form of a modillioned open pediment on heavy shaped brackets. 3 window, 2 storeys rear wing plastered similarly but roof of lower pitch. Blocked door before last window. Original N end wall exposed in shop showing heavy timbers and tension brace. Recorded as The Feathers in 1637, a smithy in 1671 and later a coachmakers and a buiders (HLHS (1979) 35-6). The blocked carriageway and part of the 2 storeys C18/C19 weatherboarded and slated range extending N along the High Street are part of No 18. The part'nearest The Pump House has different floor levels and has a flush sash window on the upper floor with 4/8 panes and moulded architrave. A modern 3-light bay window with small panes protrudes slightly on the Ground floor. An historic timberframed house of exceptional interest: The largest house in the village. A focus of the High Street at a bend, by the Pump, in the middle of the village Conservation Area.

Listing NGR: TL4181814172

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 41818 14172

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2014 at 01:26:38.