List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEECH HOUSE BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, BEECH HOUSE (NOS. 2-6), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOUTH EAST SIDE) (LLANGOLLEN BRANCH)

List entry Number: 1176445

Location

BEECH HOUSE, 2-6
BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, BEECH HOUSE (NOS. 2-6), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOUTH EAST SIDE) (LLANGOLLEN BRANCH), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityEllesmere Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260797

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLESMERE RURAL

1585/18/98 BIRCH 17-SEP-02 2-6 BEECH HOUSE SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BIRCH BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENA NCE DEPOT, BEECH HOUSE (NOS. 2-6), SHR OPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOUTH EAST SIDE) (LLANGOLLEN BRANCH)

GV II* Canal office, now flats. 1806 adjoining William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal; later additions and alterations. Red brick; hipped slate roofs, splayed to semi-circular projection at north-west corner; prominent ridge stacks. Main block of 3 x 2 bays with semi-circular projection to rear right corner and projection with slightly later attached service wings and outbuildings set back to left. 2 storeys with painted dentilled eaves cornice. East front: 3 windows; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads except for late C19 canted bay to lower left. Central entrance; pedimented doorcase, 6-paned double doors with wreathed and radiating fanlight. Semi-circular projection has 5 glazing bar sashes to first floor and 4 to ground floor with pedimented doorcase in second bay from left, several of windows blind. The committee room of the canal company was on the ground floor of the semi-circular projection overlooking the 3 branches of the canal. HISTORY: This fine example of a canal office is prominent in views of this notable and historically important canal yard, the best-preserved complex of its type in Britain. It was very probably built to the designs of Telford and Jessop, canal engineers being traditionally responsible for a wide range of structures from the trim (lettering and mileposts) to locks and keepers' houses. All canal companies had maintenance yards for work on boats, locks, paddle gearing and other aspects of the working fabric of inland waterways.

(Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal (1975), p. 49)

SJ4009034253

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Wilson, E, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal, (1975), 49

National Grid Reference: SJ 40090 34256

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:56:33.