List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWERS

List entry Number: 1176423

Location

THE TOWERS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityBruton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261651

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following building:- ST 63 SE BRUTON CP REDLYNCH

5/201 The Towers (also known as Chequers Towers)

28.11.80 II

the grade and description shall be amended to read:

ST 63 SE BRUTON CP REDLYNCH 5/201 The Towers (also known as Chequers Towers)

28.11.80 II*

Monumental gateway. Late C18. Coursed and dressed limestone with Doulting stone dressings; no roofs. Gothick style. Twin circular turrets with pointed Y-tracery openings having iron grilles on roadside, with pointed arched openings opposite; quatrefoil openings each side beneath cornice with pear-drop frieze and castellated parapets, these being continued at a lower level surmounting the full- height link wall between the turrets. Large central pointed-arched archway flanked by shields with the Ilchester arms. Curved sweep walls to either side terminating in octagonal ashlar piers with plinths and coved projecting caps. Built by Lord Ilchester for the principal entrance to Redlynch Park (qv), probably to impress George III who was frequently there on his trips to Weymouth. Stephen Fox was elevated to the peerage as Lord Ilchester in 1741, the builder of this gateway being Henry-Thomas who succeeded to the title on his father's death in 1776.

------------------------------------

BRUTON CP ST63SE REDLYNCH 5/201 The Towers (also known as Chequer Towers) 28.11.80 II

Monunental gateway, C18. Local stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; no roofs. Twin circular turrets with pointed 'Y'-tracery openings having iron grilles on roadside, with pointed arched openings opposite, above quatrefoil openings each side, battlemented tops; full height link wall between turrets with ornamental cornice and battlementing over large central pointed archway flanked by shields with the Ilchester arms. Curved sweep walls to either side terminating in octagonal ashlar piers with plinths and coved projecting caps. Built by Lord Ilchester for the principal entrance to Redlynch Park (qv), probably to impress George III, a frequent visitor there on his trips to Weymouth. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST6854032467

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Couzens, P - Title: Bruton in Selwood - Date: 1972
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 37 Somerset - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: ST 68540 32467

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:29:52.