List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAUGHTON HALL

List entry Number: 1176282

Location

HAUGHTON HALL, HAUGHTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShifnal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-May-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255253

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 70 NW SHIFNAL C.P. HAUGHTON LANE, Haughton. (West side)

5/3 Haughton Hall. 26/5/55

GV II*

House, now School. Dated 1718 with early C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Red brick with early C19 stucco facing, and 2-span slate roof. Basement, 2 storeys and attic. Entrance fronts moulded plinth, moulded cill strings, moulded plaster cornice, panelled parapet with moulded stone coping, shaped parapeted gable ends with moulded stone coping, and central round-arched dormer with glazing bar sash and lugged architrave; 2 pairs of end stacks with stone quoins, and clustered square shafts with stone cornices, central ridge stack with 3 aware shafts. 7 bays; glazing bar sashes with flush boxes, those on ground floor with keystones; central first floor window with moulded lugged architrave, keystone, flanking scrolls, and half-H apron. 8 steps with low walls to central round-arched 6-panelled door with plain architrave, extended keystone, and panelled spandrels; doorcase consisting of 2 three-quarter Ionic columns supporting entablature with pulvinated frieze and triangular pediment. Circa 1820-30 projecting wings, that to left of 2 storeys and 5 bays with glazing bar sashes; aid C20 addition projecting to right. Garden fronts raised quoins, plinth, string course, cornice, parapet with central plaque inscribed A.S.H. and 2 central round-arched MDCCXVIII dormers with lugged architraves. Glazing bar sashes with lugged architraves. Early C19 wings: 2 storeys; cornice, blocking course, and hipped slate roofs. 2 bays; glazing bar sashes; outer bays projecting with recessed ground floor segmental headed tripartite sashes; inner bays with ground floor loggias consisting of 2 Greek Doric columns supporting entablature. Interior: Entrance Hall; 3-flight square well staircase with open string, 3 twisted balusters to each tread Doric column-newels, moulded ramped handrail, inlay in half-landings, and raised and fielded panelled wainscot. Raised and fielded panelled doors throughout. N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.246.

Listing NGR: SJ7414608370

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 246

National Grid Reference: SJ 74146 08370

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 06:52:21.