List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1176071

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCondover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259414

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 SE CONDOVER C.P. STAPLETON

9/112 Church of St John the - Baptist 13.6.58 GV II*

Parish church. Uncoursed sandstone and quartzite rubble with ashlar dressings, machine tile roof with coped verges. Circa 1190-1210, re-modelled c.1790 with west tower of c.1840; restoration by Slater and Carpenter in 1867. Nave and chancel in one with former undercroft beneath, west tower and north- east vestry. Tower: 3 stepped stages with pointed angle quoins and voussoirs; 4 round-headed openings to belfry with embattled parapet; west window to second stage, also round-headed, has similar door beneath. Nave: north side has 2 original lancets to upper stage with broad blocked lancet and lancet of 1867 to west; division from former undercroft marked by a chamfered band below which are 3 narrow rectangular slits; flying buttress to centre c.1867; south side: height of former undercroft again marked by a chamfered band below which are a wide round-headed doorway and a narrow rectangular slit to east; above to either side of door are 2 Gothic windows of 1867 with an original lancet to east. Chancel: south side has narrow pointed priest's door (c.1280) and lancet above to east; 2 recessed windows at ground level to east with spherical triangular tracery c.1867; one lancet on north to east of gabled vestry, moved eastwards when the vestry and present east wall (including the triple lancet window) were built in 1867. Interior: no trace now remains of the undercroft (removed in 1786) except for the dispos- ition of the windows; arch-braced roof to nave in 5 bays (1867), the eastern- most truss supported on 2 stone shafts with foliated capitals; contemporary trussed rafter roof with scissor bracing to chancel; west gallery with richly carved and painted organ, also 1867; twin sedilia on south and piscina in north wall date to C19 restoration, but the rectangular recess high up on the south wall is probably a medieval piscina and presumably served the upper level of the church; pointed-arched recesses in north and south walls at west end of chancel are re-cut early C13 work, but their function is unclear; round-headed doorway to tower with raised keystone and imposts (c.1790) has nail-studded door; altar fronted by C17 decorative oak panelling and flanked by 2 tall painted German candlesticks (c.1500), late C19 wall painting to east wall; plain mid-C19 octagonal font is said to have come from the Church of the Holy Trinity, Uppington (q.v. under Uppington C.P.); a piece of embroidery hanging in a frame on the south wall is reputed to have been worked by Mary Queen of Scots and a board on north wall commemorates the repair of the church in 1790. Monument: wall memorial to Thomas Meyrick (died 1778) in tower. The church was probably originally a dependent chapelry of Condover (q.v. under Church of St Mary and St Andrew, Condover). A motte (Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No.183) stands approximately 50m to south-east. B.o.E., p.293; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903). Pp.509-13.

Listing NGR: SJ4707604502

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 509-513
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 293

National Grid Reference: SJ 47076 04502

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 09:10:46.