List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DAVID

List entry Number: 1176035

Location

CHURCH OF ST DAVID, BROADCLOSE WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityBarton St. David

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262807

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST53SW BARTON ST DAVID CP BROADCLOSE WAY (South side)

2/2 Church of St David

17.4.59

GV II*

Parish Church. C12 to C15, with major C19 restoration. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; plain clay tiled roofs between coped gables, with stone slates to north porch. Cruciform plan chancel 2 bays, nave 3-bays, trancepts one bay each, with added north porch and octagonal north east tower. Chancel mostly C19, 2-bays; paired offset corner buttresses with small buttress under east window, which is 3-light C14 traceried without label; in north wall small cinquefoil cusped lancet; to south double chamfered pointed arched doorway east of another cusped lancet. South transept rebuilt 1894; plinth, double corner buttresses; only a chimney to east; south window matches chancel east window. Nave has similar buttresses, with a 2-light and a 3-light elliptical arched, flat head windows without labels, in south wall, also remains of blocked segmental arched doorway; 4-light west window with C19 tracery of late C14 style; no windows north, north porch possibly C18; plain segmental outer arch; inner doorway C13 with single jamb shafts and open semi-cirular arch with chevron and lozengo decoration, door at least C18. north transept has 3-light ovolo mould mullioned window with flat head and label. Tower octagonal, in three stages, probably C15; rendered with string courses, corner gargoyles, battlemented parapets; bottom stage has cinquefoil cusped-light in hollow moulded recess north face and hollow moulded pointed arched doorway to east; stage 2 has similar window again on north face; to principal quarters stage 3 are 2-light C15 traceried windows in hollow moulded recesses. Inside, chancel mostly Cl9; cusped rere-arches to windows, cinquefoil cusped piscina, and almost triangular headed long squint into tower; narrow C13 chancel and transept arches with simple chamfered pointed arches, jamb shafts with turned bases and capitals; with added segmental arched opening to south. Now mostly C19; octagonal-panelled pulpit with door and heavy cornice, early C17; C13 stone font on C19 base, a plain octagonal bowl with moulded underside and plain shaft to moulded plinth; fragment of C17-panelling in rear dado; over chancel arch a painting of King David with harp. Earliest recorded rector 1309.

Listing NGR: ST5397231699

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 53972 31699

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 10:49:30.