List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUCKLAND HOUSE

List entry Number: 1176027

Location

BUCKLAND HOUSE, HIGH ROAD (A10)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBuckland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160262

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3533 BUCKLAND HIGH ROAD (A10) (East side) Buckland

5/41 Buckland House 22.2.67

GV II*

House. Early C18, probably for Ralph Freeman. Red brick chequered with black headers and steep hipped roofs now slated. A 2 storeys and attics, T-plan house facing W with 3 lateral rear-wall chimneys to front range and internal chimney in N service range at change from 2 to one storey. A fine parapeted W front, symmetrical, with a broad projecting centre. 2:3:2 windows with central door, moulded brick cornice, 2 hipped dormers behind parapet, plinth and flush box sash windows with broad ovolo moulded glazing bar, 6/6 panes, rubbed brick flat arches with projecting stepped white keystones, and bracketed sills. Elaborate centrepiece of a pilastered Venetian window with dentilled cornice and ogee tracery in the (blind) sidelights and rounded head, and an Ionic doorcase below with key pattern frieze, modillioned cornice, and three-quarter columns with an early C18 6-panel raised and fielded door with H hinges inside. Parapet absent at sides and rear. Stepped rear wing plastered. Half octagonal bay window to parlour at N end. Largest room in middle of front range has wide E fireplace with a shortened moulded wooden lintel from a late C16 house of consequence probably the manor house of the joint manors of Buckland and Horne on this site. Diagonal tiled floor of black and white tiles copying the contemporary marble floors. 6-panel moulded doors. Later staircase beyond an arch at N with turned balusters, cut string stair, and decorated brackets. (VCH (1914) 42, 45: Pevsner (1977) 117: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3563233818

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 42,45
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 117

National Grid Reference: TL 35632 33818

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:30:02.