List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WYMONDLEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1175971

Location

WYMONDLEY HOUSE, STEVENAGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWymondley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162785

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WYMONDLEY STEVENAGE ROAD TL 2127 (South side) Little Wymondley

11/173 Wymondley House 27.5.68 - II*

Country house, now business premises. 1724 for John Pym, a barrister. 1799-1832, the principal academy for training young men for the Nonconformist (Presbyterian) Ministry (Kelly adds it was enlarged for 2 tutors and 24 students), boarding school for boys until c.1880, a private house until c.1930 with ballroom and conservatory on W 1904, then an approved school. Red brick, front stucco, and hipped slate roofs with parapets. A tall 3-storeys and cellar L-shaped villa, front 5 windows wide, set in its own grounds, facing W. Irregular 2-storeys N extension with polygonal ended conservatory projecting to W. Symmetrical W front to main block, moulded cornice and coping, recessed sash windows with square heads. 3/3 panes on 2nd floor, 6/6 on 1st floor and formerly on ground floor now replaced by casements. Central Ionic porch, square, raised one step, with full entablature, columns and pilasters, and angular Ionic caps. N extension in 2 parts: (1). 2 storeys, stone cornice, parapet, large conservatory with central clearstorey and cap and half octagonal end, (2) one storey of red brick with upper floor all stonework with mullioned and transom windows with curved ends and curved glass. Rear wing continues plane of N end of house. Interior has original staircase around a well, dados and cornices, 6-panel doors, panelled shutters. Newer N wing has square ballroom or saloon with 3/4 panelling topped by a band of painted scenes signed A. H. Marsh 1905. Coffered oak ceiling. Arts and Crafts decorative glazing, elaborate fireplace. Linked by glazed double doors to conservatory with arched colonnade of Doric columns of black granite on pedestals with canted end and aisle carried round end. Marble floor. 3-centred moulded arch with black marble balustrade to balcony over entrance from house. Segmental carved pediment to double doors. 1st floor has red marble fireplace and shallow plaster vault to ceiling. (VCH (1912)189: Kelly (1914)296: Pevsner (1977)243: inf Mr. Farris).

Listing NGR: TL2115527424

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Hertfordshire - Date: 1914 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 296
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 189
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 243

National Grid Reference: TL 21155 27424

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 08:49:32.