List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ETHEL DREDA

List entry Number: 1175935

Location

CHURCH OF ST ETHEL DREDA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityWest Quantoxhead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265268

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST14SW WEST QUANTOXHEAD CP

5/218 Church of St. Ethel Dreda (previously listed as Etheldreda

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish Church. 1854-6. Architect John Morton for Sir Peregrine Acland and his son-in-law Sir Alexander Acland-Hood. Doulting stone, squared and coursed, Bath stone dressings, stone slates, coped verges, chamfered plinth. 4 bay nave, chancel and vestry, North and South aisles, Jorthwest tower, South porch. Late C13 Geometrical style. 3 stale tower, pierced parapet with initials and coats of arms of donors, angled buttresses, 2-light bell openings with quatrefoil Somerset tracery, clock second stage under ogee hood mould, 2-light window below, deeply moulded West entrance to tower, stair turret in North East corner with ashlar spirelet and weathervane. West front continued, gabled end of nave 4-light window, gabled end of South aisle 3-light; South front 2-light window left and two 2-light right of gabled and buttressed porch with 3 bay sedila-type arcades, double doors, decorative hinges; 3-light on East face of South aisle, two single light traceried windows to chancel, 3-light East end, 2-light to vestry; forth front, two single light tracered windows to vestry, three 2-light left between buttresses. All windows with hood moulds and carved foliage and faces to stops. Particularly noteworthy pair of gargoyles at junction of charcel and South aisle attributed to Farmer who did internal carving. Interior: arcades of Babbacombe marble piers, naturisticaily carved capitals, angel corbels carrying deep-arch braced scissor truss roof, one tier of cusping in nave, 2 tiers in chancel, aisles arch braced collar trusses with queen struts, Chancel tiled with coats of arms of doners. C12 font, good mid C19 brass lecturn. Unusually homogenous collection of average to good mid C19 fittings in contemporary interior distinguished by some fine stone carving. The medieval church, from which the font comes, was reputedly rebuilt circa 1583 and demolished by the Aclands when St. Audries (qv) park extended and the village resited, (Photograph in NMR VCH Somerset, Vol,S forthcoming; Pevsner, buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1132342006

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 11323 42006

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:38:21.