List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH PERROTT MANOR HOUSE PERROTT HILL SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1175931

Location

NORTH PERROTT MANOR HOUSE, WILLIS'S LANE
PERROTT HILL SCHOOL, WILLIS'S LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityNorth Perrott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262453

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST40NE NORTH PERROTT CP WILLIS'S LANE (South side, off)

6/203 North Perrott Manor House (Perrott Hill School)

GV II* Former manor house, now a private school. 1877, by T.H. Wyatt, architect, for P.M. Hoskyns. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tiled roofs, mostly between or behind moulded coped gables; ashlar chimney stacks. In a late C16 style. 'L'- plan; 2 storeys with attics: north-west elevation 10 bays, with north-west projecting wing. Plinth, string course: in bays 1 to 7 sash windows with transomes and moulded reveals: bay 4 has a 4-light double transomed king-mullioned stair window: windows to bays 8, 9 and return wing have secondary glazing bars. To bay 2 protecting 2-storey porch having open seal-circular archway flanked by paired Doric columns, carved band above, then 4-light windows flanked by paired Ionic columns, ornamental parapet. Large attic gables to bays 1/2, and 3/4, small gable bays 6/7. On south-east side a single-storey orangery with C16 style perforated parapet. South east elevation of 5 gabled bays, with 2 segmental bay windows, 2-storey bay 1 and single-storey bay 4 added in 1900; ground floor bay 2 has a 3-arched loggia. Late C20 buildings added on north-west corner, not of special interest. Interiors of high quality and little altered; moulded plaster ceilings, wall panelling, fine staircase and good joinery generally: some fine timber and marble chimneypieces, one featuring a painting. Orangery roof shattered by wartime bomb damage, and replaced by flat roof, (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; In RIBA Drawings Collection there is a House at Crewkerne for Mr Hoskins by T.H. Wyatt and David Brandon but this partnership was dissolved by 1851).

Listing NGR: ST4675509645

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 46755 09645

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 03:01:34.