List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1175887

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityRushden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RUSHDEN CHURCH END TL 3031 (North side) Rushden 10/12 Church of St. Mary 27.5.68 GV II* Parish church. Mid C14 origins, early C15 tower, altered late C15. Restored, chancel and S porch rebuilt 1849. Refitted and roof restored 1906-8. Flint rubble, cement rendered. Stone and red brick dressings. Yellow stock brick chancel. Lead nave roof. Slate chancel roof. Unaisled 4 bay nave with S porch, shorter, lower and narrower chancel, W tower. Nave to S has C14 2 centred entrance arch, triple moulded with shafted jambs, a foliate carved capital to right. Similar outer arch to C19 porch, coped gable parapet with kneelers. Nave has stone plinth, 2 restored late C15 windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights with traceried 4 centred arched heads, hood moulds. Short 2 stage angle buttresses to W, 1 buttress to E. Traces of sundial on quoin to E end of nave which has a coped parapet to a shallow pitched roof replacing an earlier steeper roof the line of which appears on the E wall of the tower. Nave to N: a large restored late C15 window, 3 cinquefoiled lights, 4 centred arched head. Blocked C14 entrance, pointed arch, double chamfered with moulded caps to jambs. Taller 2 stage buttresses, angled to W. Unbuttressed 3 stage W tower is slightly narrower than nave, square on plan. Moulded plinth. Stone quoins, brick in belfry. Lower W window, C15 restored, 2 lights with trefoiled heads with an upper hexafoil in a pointed arch. String courses to upper stages. Slit opening in second stage to S. 4 louvred lancets in belfry. Embattled parapet. Chancel: C14 plinth survives to S with opening for door to W of present door. S elevation has an entrance with flanking 2 light arched windows all in rendered surrounds, dentilled brick eaves. E end: large 4 light window in a broad pointed arch, angle buttresses, kneelers to shallow coped parapet. 2 similar 2 light windows to N. Interior: C15 chancel arch, 2 centred with wave and casement mouldings, continuous on jambs with respond caps. Tower arch is earlier C15, pointed, triple chamfered, chamfered respond piers with caps and bases. Nave roof retains C15 moulded wall plates, tie beams, purlins, ridge plate and principals, arched braces with pierced trefoils in spandrels. Carved figure corbels, grotesques, angels and figures in C15 dress. Nave S wall has rood stairs. Nave E wall to N of chancel arch has a C15 niche for a statue, 4 centred arched head, cusped with floriate stops, moulded square headed outer surround, frieze above with foiled and cusped panels. C14 piscina reset in chancel S wall at E end, cusped head to a moulded pointed arch. C15 font in tower arch, octagonal base with vertical roll mouldings at angles, larger octagonal bowl with outer Tudor flower and central quatrefoil friezes, cap and base, C17 cover. Early C18 communion rails, diagonally set slim vase balusters, moulded handrail, C17 communion table with turned legs. Royal Arms of George III over S entrance. Credo, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments panels removed to tower. Monument on nave S wall to Sir A. Meetkerke, Flemish ambassador to Queen Elizabeth I, d.1591, removed from St. Botolph's, Aldersgate in 1754; marble epitaph, moulded frame with arms. Early C19 monument to Meetkerke Family by J. Bacon. (Rev. J. Mearns, Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, vol. IV, part 1, 1908-9: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3054131763

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeology Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeology Society, , Vol. 4, (1908-9)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 30541 31763

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:06:51.