List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1175746

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ASHANGER LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityClothall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162238

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 23 SE CLOTHALL ASHANGER LANE (West side) Clothall 6/83 Church of 27.5.68 St. Mary GV II*

Parish church. C12 origin for nave. Mid C14 S chapel. Later C14 chancel and SW tower. Windows mostly C15. Flint rubble. Some red brick and cement render. Stone dressings. Slate roof to chapel. Pyramid plain tile roof to tower. The tower is 2 stages, the lower stage a porch with a deeply splayed hooded door. Deep stepped buttresses. Belfry with single hooded trefoiled lights. S chapel has a single and a 2-light C14 window on S and 3-light restored window on E. Chancel has 2 C15 restored windows on S wall and a blocked C14 door. E window is C15, 3-lights, no cusps. Late C19 vestry addition on N side. N nave wall with 1 restored and 1 original C15 window. C17 red brick buttresses. 2-light C15 W window. Interior: original C14 S door in wave-moulded surround. Aisle-less nave with C15 low-pitched crown post roof. Arch to S chapel with triple canted shafts. Later C14 hooded and cinquefoiled piscina. 2-bay C14 chapel roof. The chancel has a C14 restored arch and a mid-C14 trefoiled piscina. E window has good re-set C15 medallioned glass with painted birds in the diamond panes. C12 table-top font at W end of nave with C17 wooden font cover. Brasses in chancel: an early C16 priest;John Vynter (d.1404) and John Wright (d.1519), both Rectors of Clothall. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2709832025

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 27098 32025

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:59:33.