List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1175580

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, OWL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityStocklinch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOCKLINCH CP OWL STREET (North side, off) ST3817 STOCKLINCH OTTERSEY

6/106 Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) 4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13 and later. Ham stone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs with stepped coped gables, with stone slate base course to chancel. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and single bay south transept, with north-east vestry, south porch and west tower. Chancel of C14, with simple plinth, no buttresses; east window triple-lancet plate tracery with C19 label; on south side a 2-light plate-traceried window with stairlight above, and to left a projection with blocked pointed-arched doorway; to north wall a 2-light cusped lancet window without label, with a similar window in north wall of vestry, which has a small pointed-arched east doorway. Transept has plinth, angled corner buttresses; two 2-light later C14 traceried windows in east wall, and one in west, and in south wall a 3-light Geometric traceried window of somewhat rural pattern. Nave has C15 windows on south side, to east of a porch a 3-light traceried window in hollowed pointed-arched recess; on north wall a 2-light flat-arched window in moulded recess, of earlier pattern than that in south wall; to east of this a projection for former rood stair with possibly an earlier effigy recess below, and incentre of north wall a blocked pointed-arched doorway. South porch has simple wave-moulded pointed arch externally with C19 wrot-iron gate, and matching inner arch with C19 door; bench seats and pitched stone vault ceiling; small blocked window in east wall. West tower has 2 stages; plinth, angled corner buttresses to west, string course and battlemented parapets, with octagonal plan stair turret having outside door on north-east corner: no west door but a 3-light west window to match that in south east corner of nave, the label breaking into stage above; on south side a single cusped lancet to lower stage 2, and at higher lvel each face a 2-light C15 window. Interior has some C19 and C20 work as well as original details. Chancel has timber rib and panel ceiling; cinquefoil rere-arch to east window and trefoil rere-arch to south-east window; panelled C15 chancel arch. South transept has shallower-pitched arched-braced collar truss roof with side shafts and rere-arches to all windows, that to the south having open cinquefoil cusps; double C14 archway into nave and chancel, the centre column being integral with the chancel arch jamb, above being a quatrefoil panel in the nave wall: nave has ceiling of 1910; rere-arches to east windows and moulded hollowed reveals to west: tall C15 tower arch with shafts and hollows. Fittings include C17 altar table; C13 tub font with moulded turned base and broaches to corners of square plinth, the bowl having a ring of stiff-leaf decoration; trefoil-cusped piscina with corbel to basin in transept. Effigy recess in south nave wall, cinquefoil, probably early C14, and the effigy of a woman, possibly wife of William of 0stricier, Lord of the manor 1272-1307, on cill of south window to transept; below this a double tablet memorial to Nicholas Jeffrey Senior, died 1685, and others of family. A bequest board on north wall of tower dated 1795, and a Charles II hatchment over south doorway dated 1664. First recorded rector of 1321. The church, having been declared redundant, passed into the care of the Redundant Churches Fund in November 1973. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1959, but read the description for St Mary Magdalene, Stocklinch as the two are transposed: leaflet in church, anon, undated).

Listing NGR: ST3866917084

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 38669 17084

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 03:19:57.