List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST BARN AT RECTORY FARM

List entry Number: 1175545

Location

WEST BARN AT RECTORY FARM, SHILLINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityPirton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163184

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PIRTON SHILLINGTON ROAD TL 1431 (North side)

7/174 West Barn at 27.5.68 Rectory Farm

GV II*

Tithe Barn. C15 or early C16. Timber frame on sill of narrow red brick, dark weatherboarded, W side has exposed frame with early C17 red brick infill. Steep pitched roof half hipped now slated. A tall, 10-bays aisled rectorial tithe barn lying N-S on W side of farmstead facing E. Double doors in 3rd bay from each end. Raised threshing floor in 2 S bays. Low hipped extension on S end. Measures 135ft x 37ft, with narrow aisles and wide nave. Peninsular brick sills remain in some bays, carrying the sill plate across the aisle to take the foot of the arcade posts. Heavy jowled arcade-posts and jowled wall-posts. 5 studs in walls to each bay with one large tension brace to each bay cut into outside of studs. Holes in wallplate for wattle-and-daub infill replaced by brick infill with 2 rows of ventilating holes. Heavy aisle tie-beams and passing brace up to back of arcade post. Heavy slightly curved long braces to cambered tie-beams, and heavy curved braces to arcade plate. Edge-halved scarf joints with bridled butts in arcade plate. Single clasped-purlin to each slope of nave roof carried on trusses with collars and inclined queen-struts. Long slender flat rafter as if for thatched roof. Gable-end frame has central post flanked by a mid-height rail jointed in-line. Slender tension braces from main posts. Hip-rafters and collar link cantelevered ends of purlin. (RCHM (1911)163: VCH (1912)45).

Listing NGR: TL1410731886

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 45
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 14107 31886

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 09:46:59.