List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

List entry Number: 1175479

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBygrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 23 NE BYGRAVE BYGRAVE

4/78 Church of 27.5.68 St. Margaret of Antioch

- II*

Parish Church. Small building with C12 nave and S door. C14 chancel. Most windows C15. Clunch walls with brick and flint rubble, plastered. Roman tiles to NE and SE nave quoins. Slate roofs. W gable end has semi-octagonal stair turret with timber bell cage. Clunch quoins. Chamfered plinth. 2-light square headed cinquefoiled window. Similar windows to nave and chancel N and S walls. C17 blocked N door with key and impost blocks. S door is C12: single attached shafts with scalloped capitals. Roll-moulded arch. Porch is probably C19. Chancel has late C15 E window: 3 cinquefoiled lights with 6 stepped trefoiled lights above. C14 door to N chancel wal. S wall of choir with 3-light depressed arch window. Interior. C19 roofs to nave arid choir. Late C14 chancel arch with attached round shafts. C14 piscina. The chancel screen is C15: 5 ogee-headed arches in open traceried upper part, loft and canopy missing. C17 royal crest. C15 poppy-headed chancel stalls. Mid C17 altar rails. C17 pulpit with re-used C15 panels. Most important feature: C15 font at W end. Octagonal, the panels with carved instruments of the Passion, base with angels bearing crests. W and N chancel walls have fragments of C14 paintings. (RCHM, 1910; Pevsner(1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2660336134

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 26603 36134

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 02:08:57.