List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1175458

Location

OLD HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHughley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258846

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUGHLEY C.P. HUGHLEY SO 59 NE 8/63 Old Hall (Previously listed as The Old 29.1.52 Hall Cottage and Hillview) II*

House. Mid- and late C16 with later additions and alterations. Timber framed with plaster infill, plain tile roof. 3-bay main range with projecting full-height gabled former entrance porch to centre; probably earlier 2-bay gabled range to right under separate and lower steep-pitched roof has long mid-C19 single-storey painted brick and rubblestone addition at right-angles to right. 2 storeys with attics to main range; framing: 3 irregular square panels (4 to entrance porch) above girding beam, close-set vertical posts with middle rail and long straight tension braces below (replaced with brick plinth to left of porch and to rear), left gable end has con- cave lozenge decoration and raking struts from collar; porch jettied to attic with moulded bressumer and carved corner brackets; framing of gabled range exposed to rear and right return, square panels and short straight tension braces with V-struts from collar; irregular fenestration, C20 metal casements, one on each floor to left and right of porch, 3 narrow fixed-light windows to ground floor of porch and 2 below gable, one late C20 casement to first floor of gabled wing; ridge stack immediately to right of porch with sand- stone base and 3 attached rebated reddish brown brick shafts of star section; present entrance to left through C20 ledged door under open lean-to porch. Interior: timber frame partly exposed, cross-beam ceiling to left-hand ground-floor room and chamfered ceiling beams with straight-cut stops in other principal rooms, inglenook fireplace; double-purlin roofs with slightly cambered collar and tie beam trusses; main feature of interest is the Renaissance-style plaster decoration on the front wall of the gabled wing, probably late C16 and similar in style to the plasterwork at Abbey House, Buildwas (q.v. under Buildwas C.P.) and Belswardyne Hall (q.v. under Cressage C.P.): the same school of plasterers was probably responsible for the ceilings at Plaish, Morville, Upton Cressett and Wilderhope and it is possible that the same moulds were used at each house. B.o.E., p.155.

Listing NGR: SO5657097827

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 155

National Grid Reference: SO 56570 97827

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 02:17:28.