List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1175447

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityMerriott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP CHURCH STREET (North side)

9/109 Church of All Saints 4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13, modified late C15/early C16, major restoration including extension of nave, new chancel and chapels by Benjamin Ferrey in 1860. Ham stone ashlar, but C19 work cut and squared with dressings; plain clay tiled roofs with bands of scallop tiles between high coped gables with cross finials. Six-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and side aisles, 4-bay nave with side aisles, with west tower and south porch. Chancel and side chapels have plinths, offset corner and bay buttresses. Chancel east window a 3-light in Geometric tracery with plain lable, quatrefoil vent over. The aisle east windows 2-light to satch with headstop labels. South wall of south chancel aisle has a trefoil-arched doorway with label and imposts in east bay and a 2-light plate tracery window to west. North chancel aisle has 2 matching plate tracery windows. Nave not visible separately, apart from roof. North aisle has plinth, string course with gargoyles and battlemented parapet, bay and offset corner buttresses. North aisle windows are 3-light Perpendicular tracery set in hollowed pointed arched recesses without labels; no west window. South aisle similar, but with matching projecting porch to bay 3, having shaft and hollow-moulded pointed outer arch with canopied statue niche over: simple moulded inner arch with cinquefoil cusped statue niche and square stone panel over. Tower possibly Cl3, but modified in C15: plinth, string course to top with corner gargoyles and low plain parapet, tapered sides; pairs of corner buttresses to half-height. C15 deeply moulded pointed arched west doorway with carved spandrils under square label. Immediately over a 3-light Perpendicular-traceried window in deep hollowed recess with plain almost semi-circular label. Above a single and a pair of rectangular slit windows, with pairs of similar slit windows on north and east sides. On south side, set centrally on wall, an octagonal plain stair turret with battlemented top, taller than rest of tower, having an outer door and a clockface. To right at high level a plain lancet window with perforated stone baffles. Interior essentially C15 and C19. Chancel has timber rib-and-panel ceiling, with quatrefoil banding at all level on east wall. Finely detailed C13 style arcades to side chapels with 4 detached shafts to each column. Trefoil-arched and gabled piscina, and small stoup in south chapel. North chapel serves as organ chamber and vestry. Chancel arch probably C19, but in C13 style, with plain side arches. Nave has C19 traceried panelled quaenpost roof trusses, with rib and panels between, and also to aisle roofs. C15 hollow-and-shaft arcading. Wide tcwer arch in C13 style. No particular features in aisles. Mid C20 gallery and screen to under-tower space. Church liturgically re-ordered, c1980, with chancel cleared of C19 fittings. Nave altar. C19. Pulpit now set in north aisles, C19 font in south aisle. C19 pews and nave choir stalls. At back of nave the base of an older font. A carved stone cross fragment, set on cill of chancel east window. Memorials include cartouche commemorating Patrick Roche, died 1712, by Parfore de Tetbury, Gloucestershire; pedimented and bracketted plaque to Revd. Edward Whitley, died 1775, and plainer plaque to John Whitley, died 1750, all in north aisle; bracketted and pedimented plaques to Robert England died 1742, to Mary Rodbard, died 1733 and another Mary Rodbard, died 1745, all in south aisle. First recorded rector in 1297. Tower used as model for church at Queen's Cross, Glasgow, by Charles Rennie Mackintosh (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST4427212844

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1978 - Volume: 4

National Grid Reference: ST 44272 12844

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 10:20:02.