List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1175299

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityWithycombe

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265393

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST03NW WITHYCOMBE CP RODHUISH

12/110 Church of St Bartholomew (formerly listed as Rodhuish Church)

22.5.69

- II*

Chapel of ease formerly in Carhampton CP, now parish church. C15, refenestrated early C16, restored and roof repaired 1826, church restored 1924 and refitted mid C20. Roughcast over rubble, Treborough slate roof covering nave and chancel, Nave and chancel without division, west bell tower, south porch. Single stage tower at west gable end, 2-centred lancet bell openings, pyramid slate roof, weathervane. West end unlit; south porch gabled with coped verges, plain semicircular arched openings, late C20 wrought iron gate, 2-centred lancet on right return, C19 door in Tudor arch head opening, 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window to nave, similar 2-light to chancel, 2-light trefoil headed east window set to right of centre, 2-light chancel window north wall, large full height raking buttresses at junction of nave and chancel, 2-light window north wall of nave. Interior: rendered. No chancel arch, tower pointed arch about 1.8 metres high, unchamfered but with chamfered jambs. Open arch braced wagon roof to chancel, 3-bay arch braced roof to nave, 2 trusses with tie-beams and kingposts, subsidiary rafters. C18 panelled west end gallery. C19 pine pews. Two late C16-early C17 carved chairs, with religious scenes possibly depicting the departure of the Prodigal Son and Christ blessing Mary Magdelene. Carved wooden aumbry possibly early C16. Norman circular pedestal font moved from Carhampton Church in C19. Reredos with carved angel terminals by Rachel Reckett 1961; font cover, sconces and candelabra by Jim Horrobin 1971; C19 altar rails said to have come from a church in Weston-Super-Mare, (Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST0121539594

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 01215 39594

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 06:45:14.