List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN

List entry Number: 1175242

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityPimhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259162

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOMERE HEATH C.P. PRESTON GUBBALS SJ 41 NE 6/99 Church of Saint Martin - 13.6.58 GV II*

Chapel of ease, latterly parish church, now redundant. C12, altered probably in the C14 and C15, partly rebuilt and enlarged in 1866 by Samuel Pountney Smith. Reduced in size in 1973 by the demolition of most of the 1866 work. Dressed red sandstone with ashlar dressings, and remains of limewashing to east. C19 work in dressed yellow and red sandstone. Plain tile roof. Nave and chancel in one. The demol- ished 1866 work consisted of chancel, west tower and south porch incor- porating the former and present nave and chancel as a south aisle and chapel. Chamfered plinth, and parapeted gable ends with copings and truncated finials, and that to west with gabled kneelers. South side: large buttress with chamfered offsets between have and chancel off- centre to right. C19 buttress to left. 3 square-headed windows of 2 and 3 trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals. Right-hand window is C14 or C15 and the left-hand windows are C19. Chamfered round- arched C12 priest's doorway with boarded door. C19 south doorway to left with continuously-moulded arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and boarded door with wrought-iron strap hinges. North side: rebuilt in 1866, with 3-bay former nave arcade consisting of octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. C20 three-light windows. Blocked chamfered arch to left, formerly between chancel and south chapel. Remains of C19 chamfered tower arch adjoining to north-west and fragment of former C19 chancel adjoining to north-east with remains of chamfered-arched window and buttress. West end: rebuilt in 1866. Chamfered round-arched windows consisting of spokes dividing 6 trefoil-ended lights. Boarded door to left with chamf- ered reveals, formerly to tower stair. East end: window of 2 trefoil- headed lights with quatrefoil in apex and chamfered reveals. Interior: C19 trussed -rafter roof:, south side supported on wooden corbels with lower wooden wall plate. Blocked north arcade as outside. C19 windows and south door with chamfered rear arches. Fittings: good carved wooden fittings made by a C19 vicar, the Revd. E.D. Poole. Carved wooden altar table on low dais with carved front,and reredos with flanking creed, Lord's Prayer and commandment boards. Carved wooden choir stalls, lectern and pulpit with pierced traceried panels. Wooden pews of 1866. Probably C16 octagonal stone font with moulded top, C19 base, and C19 wooden cover with wrought ironwork. Probably C17 oak parish chest with single lock. Royal coat of arms to left of south door, painted on canvas. Pair of painted wooden benefactors' boards on east wall, one with the names of Thomas Matthews and Thomas Shore, churchwardens and dated 1794 and the other with the names of William Thompson and William Kent, churchwardens, dated 1841. Monuments: early C14 carved stone coffin slab consisting of a bust of a man above a foliated cross set in a panel with rounded base and crocketed ogee canopy above. Preston Gubbals was a chapelry of Saint Alkmund, Shrewsbury, and takes its name from the priest in charge at the time of the Domesday survey, Godebold. The 1866 rebuilding cost £1,600. The walls of the former nave, chancel and tower still remain standing to approximately one metre high to the north. The church is now invested in the Redundant Churches Fund. B.o.E., pp. 231-2; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury churches, pp. 863-4, Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), p. 183.

Listing NGR: SJ4918819613

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Page References: 863-864
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1900 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory - Page References: 183
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 231-232

National Grid Reference: SJ 49188 19613

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:03:46.