List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO REAR

List entry Number: 1175218

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO REAR, CUMHILL HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityPilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267585

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST54SE PILTON CP CUMHILL HILL (West side)

15/113 The Manor House and attached wall to rear (The Manor House previously listed)

2.6.61

GV II*

Abbatial residence, subsquently a manor house. Established by Abbot Michael of Amesbury, 1235-52; refurbished by Abbot Adam of Sodbury, 1323-34; further work by Abbot John Chinnock 1315-1420; C17 additions by Edward, Earl of Hereford rebuilt by Edward Andrews, a Bristol merchant c1754; later C18 additions. L-plan; symmetrical classical frontage with added Gothic features, some of which may be re-used medieval work; wing at right angles to rear in an ebbulient Gothick style. Coursed and squared rubble, crenellated ashlar parapets, crocketted finials, predominantly ashlar stacks, hipped tile, pantile and slate roofs. Frontage of 2 storeys, 5 bays, ashlar end pilasters, a 2-stage ashlar buttress to each side, cornice band, continuous bands over window heads; 12-pane sash windows to first floor in plain stone surrounds; except Venetian window to centre, centre-light with a keystone, sash window to each light; 18-pane sash windows to ground floor in plain stone surrounds; except narrow 6-pane sash windows flanking central door opening, that to right blank and painted to resemble a sash window. Door opening in a moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, segmental pediment, half-glazed door. Truncated projecting rubble stack to right return with off-sets. Projecting canted turret to left return, 4 narrow windows in dressed stone surrounds with cusped heads. Wing to rear with 3 large triple-light gothic windows to South side, traceried sash windows; French windows; further window with a cusped head. To rear a gabled stair-turret, 2 and 3-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, 2 with leaded lights; adjacent a ribbed and studded door in an ovolo-moulded surround; inside a further cambered head door opening in a chamfered stone surround. Interior with a panelled room to right of ground floor, moulded plaster cornice, fireplace in a bolection moulded surround. Two rooms in wing to rear with eleborate Gothick plasterowork, particularly around the windows. Some early turned balusters at top of stairs. Many further features. Coursed and squared rubble wall to rear, moulded cornice, 2 pointed arch door openings in dressed stone surrounds. (Private guide prepared by the owner).

Listing NGR: ST5880240749

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 58803 40755

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:43:18.