List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY TIRNITY CHURCH (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List entry Number: 1175183

Location

HOLY TIRNITY CHURCH (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), COTTERED ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityCottered

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159865

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 33 SW COTTERED COTTERED ROAD (south side) THROCKING

1/5 Holy Trinity Church (C of E) 22.2.67

GV II*

Parish church (parish amalgamated with Cottered in 1932). Lower part of tower C13, early C15 perpendicular nave and chancel in one volume (former chancel demolished), C15 S porch, brick upper part of tower 1660 (panel on S face) for Sir Thomas Soame, restoration in mid C19 for Rev. Wm. Adams with steeply pitched roof and additional matching pews, organ chamber and vestry added c1879 and organ, pulpit, lectern, and new glazing installed. Flint rubble plastered with stone dressings to nave and chancel, base courses of tower in coursed unknapped flint and pebbles, knapped flint facing around windows, with stone quoins and dressings. Vestry extension in knapped flint. Upper part of tower in red brick with stone quoins and moulded brick details. Steep slated roofs, old red tiled porch. A small church with W tower and gabled vestry/organ projection on N side. Diagonal stone buttresses with flint flushwork, to W of nave and E of chancel. Chancel separated by one step from the nave with 3- light C15 traceried E window and stained glass Good Shepherd c1879 by Clayton & Bell. On N wall small original door now to vestry, and C19 stone screen to organ. Tall single light C14 window on S wall with C15 traceried head. A C17 poppy-head on benches in chancel has carving of acrobats. Nave has a C15 2- light traceried window with ferramenta in N and S wall and C15 S doorway with moulded jambs and 4-centred arch under a square label and carved spandrels. 6 consecration crosses painted at irregular intervals along each wall, polychrome tile floors, and steep 5-bay timber roof with hammer-beams and arch-braced collars. C15 tower arch with shafted jambs, moulded capitals, and 4-centred head. Unbuttressed square tower with C13 deeply splayed lancet window on N and S side at base and C15 3-light traceried W windows. A moulded, gauged brick floor band and ovolo moulded eaves band define the red brick upper part of 1660 with its stone quoins, polygonal SW turret on an ogee moulded corbel, round arched opening in each face (Y-tracery remains on W & E sides), plain parapet with stumps of corner pinnacles, and moulded brick date panel on S with shouldered architrave and scrolls. Gabled S porch with some flushwork diagon buttresses and moulded stone plinth continuing around nave and chancel. 4- centred arched entrance with moulded jambs and square label. Graffiti on jambs of S door. Single-light window in E wall. Clasped-purlin roof. Fittings include a C15 octagonal clunch font with panelled stem and sides, C17 benches in nave (with C19 copies), fine heraldic floor slabs to Thomas Soame 1670 and Robert Elwes 1752, fine pedimented inscription tablet to Robert Elwes 1753 by Rysbrack with Rococo cartouche and coat of arms beneath, on W wall a fine broken pedimented marble monument to Robert Elwes 1731, and on N wall a neo-Grecian marble monument to Hester Elwes 1770 by Nollekens with seated female by an urn. A small late medieval church with unusual W tower and fine C18 monuments. (RCHM (1912) 220-1: VCH (1914) 113-4: Chuck N A [Guide to Holy Trinity Church, Throcking (1977) priv. print).

Listing NGR: TL3383630165

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 220-1
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Chuck, N A - Title: Guide to Holy Trinity Church Trocking - Date: 1977
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 113-4

National Grid Reference: TL 33836 30165

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 07:01:18.