List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1175052

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityLydford-on-Fosse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267560

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST53SW LYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CP HIGH STREET (West side) WEST LYDFORD

10/88 Church of St. Peter

-

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. 1846 by B. Ferrey on an earlier site. Coursed and squared lias rubble, Doulting dressings, stone tile roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with a south porch, north aisle, chancel with a north vestry, west tower. Archaeologically correct Perpendicular. Tower with set-back buttresses, embattled parapet with pinnacles, prominant gargoyles, small south stair turret, 2-light bell-chamber windows, 3-light west window; 3 bay buttressed nave with an embattled parapet, 3-light windows; 4-bay north aisle, again buttressed with embattled parapet, 3-light windows; 2 bay chancel, pierced parapet with pinnacles, 4-light east window. Buttressed porch with paired wrought-iron dog gates. Loftly plastered interior under elaborate hammer-beam roofs. 4-bay arcade to north aisle, the piers with 4-hollows mouldings which may be re-used from a C15 structure, though much restored. Plain C15 octagonal font, a niche to each face of its base. C19 pews; C19 lectern in the form of a carved eagle; C19 pulpit, some C19 metal plaques to walls with pious texts. C17 chest; small C17 communion table. 5 C19 tables by Reeves of Bath, Wood of Bristol and Tyley of Bristol. C19 stained glass, particularly the east-window by Wailes of 1852. (Pevsner N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5646331882

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 56463 31882

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 12:59:33.