List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY

List entry Number: 1175050

Location

THE RECTORY, PARSONAGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityWest Camel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262755

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52SE WEST CAMEL CP PARSONAGE ROAD (West side)

4/147 The Rectory (Previously listed as 19.4.61 Rectory and Glebe Cottage)

GV II*

Rectory, now house. Probably early C15 with modifications and major addition of circa 1830. Local stone roughly coursed, with Ham stone dressings to mullioned windows; Welsh slate roofs, between coped gables to the early wing and hipped with wide eaves soffites to the C19 wing; brick chimney stacks. "T"-plan of 2-storeys, the older North wing being set at right angles to the later. North elevation has 6-bay random fenestration; Bay-1 plain chamfer mullioned window, nothing above: bay-2 modern casement window below and 3-light ovolo mould mullioned casement window with leaded lights above, complete with wrought iron casement window stay; bay 3 a C20 glazed door with C19 casement window above; bay 4 wooden casement window below and early casement window with leaded lights above; bay 5 old casement window with leaded lights and wood lintol with nothing above; bay-6 old casement windows with leaded lights at both levels. The East, roadside, gable has hollow chamfered mullioned window, blocked with label dressed off, together with later mullioned windows; low down in the South-east corner traces of a stone door arch or relieving arch. On the small South return wall another blocked pointed arch doorway. The matching C19 wing, running Southwards, has 2-storeys of 5-bays, with central 6-panel door with fanlight; 12-pane sash windows, all in plain openings with flat voussoired heads. Interior said to contain 4 cusped-archbraced cruck trusses with king-strut braces to the North wing roof, unusual in Somerset and with suggested date of 1400. Rooms considerably re-arranged and original plan form uncertain. The older wing may form part of the Grange pertaining to Muchelney Abbey; the South wing probably added by Revd. Henry Law, Rectory 1824 to 1836. With the C15 Barn (qv) and Dovecote (qv) this is an important group survival. (VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, 1980; E.K. Garrett, The Story of West Camel, unpublished MSS in Yeovil Public Library).

Listing NGR: ST5791624563

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Garrett, E M - Title: The Story of West Camel - Date: 1953
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Vernacular Architecture Group Report - Date: 1980 - Journal Title: Vernacular Architecture Group Report

National Grid Reference: ST 57914 24562

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 09:23:41.