List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1174922

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityWilliton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265043

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST0740 WILLITON CP

10/273 Church of St Peter

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish church. Medieval chapel rebuilt, early C16 windows reset in South aisle added 1810, rest rebuilt 1856-9, bell-cote added 1896. Mid C19 work by C E Giles. Squared red sandstone rubble, uncoursed, quoins, Bath stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West porch, bell-cote West end, 4 bay nave, North aisle, North East vestry, South aisle, South East chapel, chancel. Stone gabled bell-cote centre of 3 gables on West end, central stepped buttress flanked by lancets above single storey gabled porch with kneelers, chamfered plinth, pointed arch inner doorway, ribbed door, Medieval iron work. Left C19 2-Light window, right 2-light cinquefoil-headed hollow chamfered mullioned window under square hood mould, 3 similar on South front, C19 arched windows to chapel, another C16 mullioned window South side of chancel, 3-light East window, fisheye window in gable end of vestry, 3-light shouldered mullioned window below, North front cinquefoil-headed door and 2-light window to vestry, large stepped buttress at junction with aisle linked to similar at West end by projecting plinth forming seat, two 2-light windows left and one right of gabled North porch carried on deep curved brackets with larger ovolo moulded plinth, all with chamfered corners, double gate, pointed arched plank inner door. Interior: rendered. Mid C19 roofs arch braced nave, scissor truss aisles, barrel vaulted chancel, and chancel arch with decorative capitals. Circular piers without bases in South aisle, others C19. Font, alabaster dated 1666. Lectern, 3 bays of cinquefoil-headed tracery perhaps from the rood screen removed in 1856. Poor Box dated 1680. Early C17 chest. Altar table in South aisle probably C17. This was a chapel of ease and did not become a parish church until the C18. (Buckler drawing of earlier church in Local History Library, Taunton; Armstrong, The Parish of St Peter Williton, 1982).



















Listing NGR: ST0754740750

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Armstrong - Title: The Parish Of St Peter Williton - Date: 1982

National Grid Reference: ST 07547 40750

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:43:50.