List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1174914

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WILLIAN CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLetchworth Garden City

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161927

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the folloeing building :- LETCHWORTH WILLIAN CHURCH ROAD TL 23 SW Willian 1/2 Church of All Saints - 27.5.54 II

the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star).

------------------------------------

WILLIAN CHURCH ROAD 1. 5255 Willian Church of All Saints TL 23 SW 1/2 27.5.54 II 2. Willian parish church. Two bay nave and chancel, C12 and C13; tower and south porch, C15. Welsh slate roof with coped gables. Flint and ironstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings and buttresses. Three stage tower with stair turret, battlemented parapet, moulded strings, diagonal buttresses and gargoyles. C14 and C15 fenestration in Perpendicular style. Plain, gabled porch. Interior with C19 timber barrel roof to nave and chancel; chancel retains original corbel masks. Brass of Richard Golden (died 1446). Good wall monuments in chancel to Edward and Joan Lacon (died 1625 and 1624), John Chapman (died 1624) and Thomas Wilson (died 1656). Former C15 chancel screen removed. Carved chancel seats. (VCH vol III p 179, RCHM Herts p 242.)

Listing NGR: TL2246330657

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 179
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 22463 30657

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:46:43.