List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1174575

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityCutcombe

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265319

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS93NW CUTCOMBE CP CUTCOMBE VILLAGE

10/37 Church of St John

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish church. C13 tower, C13-early C14 north aisle, 1713 east wall of north aisle rebuilt, 1862 extensively restored, reseated, and south aisle, south chapel and south porch added, 1971 reroofed. Mid C19 work by C E Giles, builders Pearse of Minehead and Hole of Dunster. Random rubble, upper stage of tower roughcast, slate roofs, coped verges, truncated stack west gable end of south aisle. west tower, 4-bay nave, 3-bay north aisle, 2-bay organ chamber, chancel, 4-bay south aisle, 2-bay south chapel, south porch. Two-stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light window west end of aisle, south front single storey gabled dporch, unbuttressed, with moulded pointed arch springing from engaged columns, C19 inner door; three 2-light windows right, between buttresses with priest's door beyond, east end of aisle lancet, 3-light east window to chancel, 2-light cinquefoil headed window to east end of buttressed north aisle, 3 similar windows on north front, 2-light trefoil headed window beyond, 3-light cinquefoil headed window at west end, Interior: rendered, except for west end. C19 moulded arches to chapel and south Chapel with foliage capitals, unmoulded tower arch. C19 roofs with some old bosses in nave, Five-bay north arcade of octagonal piers without capitals except for eastern one, pointed arches; south arcade with vigorously carved foliage capitals. Base, stem and pillars of Norman font with C19 Italian marble bowl. Mid C19 Beer stone pulpit, panels carved with scenes from the bible; mid C19 stone reredos sculpted with da Vinci's Last Supper, reset in south chapel when the Arts and Crafts style ceramic, alabaster and glass mosaic reredos, dado and also the east window, were given in memory of Philip Pleydell Bouverie and his wife, died 1890 and 1892 respectively. The south aisle had been erected at their expense and contains glass by Clayton and Bell. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Soaerset, 1958; Kelly's Directory, 1861 and 1906.

Listing NGR: SS9310239236

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1861 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1906 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: SS 93102 39236

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:55:27.