List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUTBULDINGS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES EAST OF THE STATION TAVERN

List entry Number: 1174564

Location

OUTBULDINGS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES EAST OF THE STATION TAVERN, FRONT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North YorkshireScarboroughDistrict AuthorityGrosmont

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 327607

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GROSMONT FRONT STREET NZ 80 NW (north side) 3/131 Outbuildings approxi- mately ten metres east of the Station Tavern GV II Workshops and smithy with tenements over; now workshops, stable, garage and storerooms. c.1835. For the Whitby to Pickering Railway Company; occupied by John Buttery and others. Tooled sandstone with pantile roof; one stack rebuilt in brick. Long 2-storey range with irregular openings. Far right end contains garage. Former smithy at far left end has board door between 2-light, 12-pane casement windows. At centre left are paired doorways with slatted doors giving access to spiral stair. Other ground floor openings are grouped or wide doorways, some with board doors, beneath painted timber or stone lintels. Windows are square and shuttered, with stone sills. At first floor level access was gained originally from staircase openings at centre left to tenement doorways on either side by means of a cantilevered walkway along building front. At left end and at right of staircase openings are 16-pane sash windows with painted stone sills. Further right is another 16-pane sash, a shuttered window and at far end three altered windows. All original openings have tooled lintels. Coped gable and shaped kneeler at right end. End and intermediate ridge stacks. The buildings, mentioned in 1836 Deeds of the Tunnel Inn (now the Station Tavern, q.v.), in dilapidated condition at time of resurvey.

Listing NGR: NZ8285605265

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 82856 05265

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 08:48:33.