List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1174330

Location

93/95 AND 97, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBarkway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARKWAY HIGH STREET TL 3835 (East side) Barkway 9/33 Nos. 93/95, 27.5.68 and 97

GV II*

House, at one time 3 dwellings now 2. Late C15, floored and stack inserted c.1600, divided and altered mid C18. Timber frame, rendered, part red brick cased, some weatherboarding. Steeply pitched hipped thatched roof. Wealden house. Now all 2 storeys. Hall range has symmetrical C18 red brick refronting below original coved eaves. Central plank and muntin door with gauged brick flat arched head, simple hood and brackets. Flanking openings have gauged brick cambered heads, that to right blind, to left a 16 pane sash. 3 blind horizontal panels above with a horizontal sliding sash to inserted upper floor. Projecting brick course to plaster coving, 2 brackets project to support wall plate. Originally jettied crosswings underbuilt in C18 red brick. Both have outer entrances, plank and muntin doors with simple brackets to hoods. 20 pane glazing bar sashes in shallow reveals. Rendered first floors, a horizontal sliding sash to left, small sash to right. Axial ridge stack inserted in through passage, rebuilt cap. Left return has weatherboarded dado, rendered above, C19 external stack with offsets. Right return is C18 and later red brick. Rendered to rear with mixed casements, some early 2 and 3 light windows. Small slate roofed outshuts added to rear. Interior: exposed framing of large scantling, curved passing tension braces. Hall has shutter grooves, peg holes for a bench at upper end. Crown post roof with downward braces. c.1600 stop chamfered bearer, joists and fireplace lintel. c.1600 painted decoration in hall and parlour. (VCH 1914: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3838435301

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1953

National Grid Reference: TL 38384 35301

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:43:37.