List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LETCHWORTH HALL HOTEL

List entry Number: 1174314

Location

LETCHWORTH HALL HOTEL, LETCHWORTH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLetchworth Garden City

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161875

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LETCHWORTH LANE 1. 5255 (south side) Letchworth Hall Hotel TL 23 SW 1/6 27.5.54 II* 2. Late medieval hall and kitchen range, probably of circa 1470-90 for Thomas Snagge, now represented by crown-post roof with 4-way struts in south range. In the early C17 the Lytton family rebuilt the hall and south range, and added a cross wing at the north end containing a 2 storey solar block (west end), staircase (centre) and a new kitchen range (east end). Major alterations in the late C19 (stylistically circa 1870's) for the Alington family involved the demolition of the north cross wing and its replacement by a range with a central tower. The north-east wing was rebuilt by Parker in 1935-6. The south-west wing was built circa 1911-2 by Murray Henell as a golf club. Modern tiled roofs; hall re-roofed with modern open timber trusses. Modern, clustered Tudor-bethan brick chimney stacks. Medieval timber-framed building replaced by early C17 red brick structure with plinth. The south wing retains its original coped gables with octagonal finials which have lost their original caps. Other gables, including that of the porch, are modern copies of the south wing gables. Hall fireplace in west wall with chimney breast projecting externally with moulded brick cornice. A doorway was broken through the chimney breast in the late C17; this is now blocked. The hall fireplace was reconstituted in the early C20. Hall windows of 3 and 4 lights with transoms and mullions, ovolo mouldings, stay bars, leaded lights and iron casements. Two and three light mullioned windows of similar character in south range. Gabled 2 storey entrance porch to former screens passage of hall with moulded strings and rusticated brickwork over doorway; modern entrance and boarded door. Internal features include ovolo moulded posts to altered hall screen. The rebuilt north-west wing retains fine original fireplaces formerly belonging to solar room of the C17 building: ground floor with elaborately carved oak chimney piece decorated with caryatids; first floor with clunch chimney piece with carved panel of the Judgement of Paris in bas relief. (RCHM, Herts p 141; VCH, Herts 3 p 118; J Smith.)

Listing NGR: TL2173830819

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 141
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 118

National Grid Reference: TL 21738 30819

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:29:31.