List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1174221

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityWithypool and Hawkridge

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265575

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS83SE WITHYPOOL CP HAWKRIDGE 18/161 Church of St Giles 6.4.59

GV II* Parish church. Norman south door, C14 chancel and base of tower, rest Perpendicular, restored 1878. Local stone random rubble, plinth to chancel, Ham stone dressings slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, chancel, Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage string course, louvred lancet bell opening, 4-light west window, unmoulded semi-circular headed doorway to C19 west door, crenellated north east stair turret; buttress to south west corner of nave, 2-light window left of gabled, single storey porch with C19 semi-circular arched opening, semi-circular headed Norman doorway with zig-zag moulding to extrados, capitals with incised design, renewed inner arch, chamfered jambs, C19 door; right 3-light trefoil headed mullioned window set into rebuilt section of nave wall, chamfered corner at junction with chancel, 2-light chancel window, 3-light east window; north front unlit with rood stair projection and lean-to roofed addition thought to contain boiler for heating system. Interior: rendered. Shallow chancel arch, unchamfered 4-centred tower arch. C19 shallow ceiled wagon roof to chancel , C19 ceiled wagon roof to nave. Panelled screen to tower arch. Norman baluster font, cable moulded with incised grid pattern to bowl. C13 stone coffin lid, chamfered cornice defaced foliage cross, incised with inscription 'William ...... lies here'; thought to refer to William de Plessy, Lord of the manor, died 1274. This was found in wall behind pulpit in 1877 and removed from the church, only to be returned in 1931. Painted Royal Coat of Arms of Queen Victoria on chancel arch wall inscribed 'WHM and JC churchwardens 1877', (Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: SS8611230649

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 86112 30649

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 02:50:48.