List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List entry Number: 1173651

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), WOOD END ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityGreat Munden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161299

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Great Munden TL 3524 GREAT MUNDEN WOOD END ROAD (north side)

11/7 Parish Church of St Nicholas 24.1.67 (C of E) (Formerly listed under rural district GV of Ware) II*

Parish church. Early C12 nave and chancel, mid C14 S aisle, late C15 W tower and chancel arch. Restoration 1865-6 by George and Henry Godwin renewed arcade. S porch 1874 (replacing C16 brick porch shown in 1832 drawing by J C Buckler) repaired 1929. Flint rubble with flint facing and stone dressings. Pudding stone base course to tower. Steep old red tile roof to chancel and timber S porch. Low-pitched nave roof now slated. Copper roof to S aisle and small spire. Original C12 features include round arched N door (blocked) with external colonettes, cushion capitals and bowtel moulded arch; N jamb of chancel arch with round shafts to each angle,volute capital with grotesque face, and chamfered impost surviving in chancel; and small round-headed N window in chancel with deep internal splays. A Norman arch is said to be covered over in N side of chancel. Wide S aisle c1350, probably built as a burial place by the de Boys family, has a 3-bay arcade with octagonal piers (restored), fine Dec windows to E (3-light) and W (2-light), 2 wide ogee headed tomb-recesses and a piscina in the S wall, an early C15 panelled stone reredos with ogee headed niches and embattled moulding, 2 3-light windows in the S wall (restored) and S door with 2 moulded orders. The nave has a C14 doorway into the W tower, a C15 image niche on the N wall crocketted and finialled with traces of painting, 3 C15 3-light N windows each with a different head, and a late C15 4-centred depressed chancel arch widened to S. 3-bay C15 queen-post open roof to nave with braces to purlins and principals, moulded wall- posts on carved stone musical angel corbels and curved braces with pierced quatrefoil spandrels. Similar spandrels and wall posts to 3-bay S aisle roof with moulded purlins and stone corbels. C19 boarded waggon roof to chancel. E window C19, C14 S doorway and C15 2-light window. Unbuttressed, 3-stage, W tower with enbattled parapet and small set-back spire with vane. Narrow windows in 2 lower stages repaired with tile slips by SPAB technique. A string course marks each stage. Wide pointed bell- chamber openings. Fittings include an hexagonal Jacobean oak pulpit said to have been a bequest of Sir Robert Cecil, early C16 chancel stalls with carved ends and initials 'RK' for rector Robert King (1510-1538), and octagonal font c1891 carved with floral panels and on an octagonal rose marble shaft with moulded stone base. 2 monuments on S wall of aisle to Sarah and Gratiana Spence 1753 and 1776 in the form of bellied cartouches with hatchment carved at top. (RCHM (1911) 104: VCH (1912) 128-29: Pevsner (1977) 153: H C Andrews History of the Church of St Nicholas, Much Munden (n.d.) pamplet available at church).

Listing NGR: TL3551924185

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 104
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Andrews, H C - Title: History of the Church of St Nicholas Much Munden
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 128-29
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 153

National Grid Reference: TL 35519 24185

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 04:55:37.